Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC Stalling engine

One more question Titus..you mention a 1.6, I have a 1.8 does that make a difference?
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

If you can find the dual tb thread you might find a cheaper solution than going stand alone ECU. Though there is a MSII on sale over on the pointy board classifieds for 550 dollars. Not super cheap but a few dollars off a new fully built one. I don't want to go MS cause of the money issue but I want to go to the big boost kit in the future and figure I might as well go MS just to save myself some hassle.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    One more question Titus..you mention a 1.6, I have a 1.8 does that make a difference?
    1.8 Miatas use a MAF (mass air flow) sensor instead of an AFM. It is more accurate than an AFM, but it is located before the throttle body (like the AFM) and is measuring the volume of air going in to the throttle body (like the AFM) so I would think the same theory should apply.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    If you can find the dual tb thread you might find a cheaper solution than going stand alone ECU. Though there is a MSII on sale over on the pointy board classifieds for 550 dollars. Not super cheap but a few dollars off a new fully built one. I don't want to go MS cause of the money issue but I want to go to the big boost kit in the future and figure I might as well go MS just to save myself some hassle.
    The dual throttle body should solve the problem as it would reduce the throttled volume back to just the intake manifold, but it sure seems odd to me to add complicity as a band-aid with no other gains. Switching to an aftermarket ECU gives you an instant power boost of about 15 hp, allows you to tune your engine to run much safer (by controlling timing), and just happens to fix the stalling issue as a fringe benefit. I would go so far as to recommend an ECU BEFORE intercooler and big boost kit. Heck, with an ECU, you don't even need the big boost kit... just pulleys. My install stages were Supercharger -> Big boost kit -> Intercooler -> ECU/Injectors -> pulley upgrade. If I was to do it again, I would have gone ECU -> Injectors/Supercharger -> Intercooler -> pulley upgrade 1 -> Pulley Upgrade 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The dual throttle body should solve the problem as it would reduce the throttled volume back to just the intake manifold, but it sure seems odd to me to add complicity as a band-aid with no other gains. Switching to an aftermarket ECU gives you an instant power boost of about 15 hp, allows you to tune your engine to run much safer (by controlling timing), and just happens to fix the stalling issue as a fringe benefit. I would go so far as to recommend an ECU BEFORE intercooler and big boost kit. Heck, with an ECU, you don't even need the big boost kit... just pulleys. My install stages were Supercharger -> Big boost kit -> Intercooler -> ECU/Injectors -> pulley upgrade. If I was to do it again, I would have gone ECU -> Injectors/Supercharger -> Intercooler -> pulley upgrade 1 -> Pulley Upgrade 2.

What he said.

I was going to suggest a standalone before the boost increase, but wasn't sure if that was the recommended path for a supercharger (makes the most sense to me, knowing what I know). Freeing up the intake track and being able to tune timing more than just retarding base timing is worth the buy in price alone. Add datalogging to the mix, and it's even more worthwhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12