Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Pads ... Again!

Default Brake Pads ... Again!

I know we have been over this many times, .... but... last weekend at Hallett by Axxis Ultimate left uneven deposits on the rotors. Now I have a "poor-man ABS" Miata. Should I trade up to DTC/DTC (front/rear), DTC/HP+, HP+/Hp+, or XP10/8.

I have no plan to run the r-compound nor force feed my car in th future. What you think I should get before the next track day?
    Gabriel

HP+/HP+ for HPDE should be fine unless you are hard on brakes. Then the DTC30/DTC30 is a good match. Hawks aren't the cheapest but they are great pads. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Never had anyone dissatisfied that I know of as long as they get the right pad for them. Call me Monday or stop by and we can hook you up.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Driver

different car, but the DTC30's on my Evo left uneven deposits for daily duty because they didn't get up to temp enough. I just had to run my track pads (at the track ) every so often in order to wipe them clean again.

From reading various discussions. I think the HP+ may not be enough for me?! I know you get what you pay for. I am open to the option of having dedicated track rotors and pads. Since Carbotech pads do play well with rotors that have deposits from other pads.
    Gabriel

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

get 3 sets of pads. hp+ for rear, hp+ or the hp ceramic for front DDing, and a set of dct30 for the front for the track. i killed hp+ before i was FI and rcomped, carbo techs my self and brg never had luck with. grate the first time then sucked every other and only lasted 3-4 track days.

The last 2 years, I managed to overheat my Kumho Ecsta MXs during a session, but never felt like I needed more brake. HP+ front and rear, cheap NAPA rotors, stock 1.8 calipers. With stock power and street tires, I'd say they're worth a try, Gabe.

I hate the dust, and before tracking them, they squeak a bunch - but I have been pleased with them on the track. Once they have been used on the track and gotten good and hot, I've found them to be quiet - even on the street.

If you go Carbotech, I'll be interested to hear what you think. But I don't think there's much better for the money than the HP+.
    '96 M-edition

Other than the uneven deposit, I have no complain of the Axxis Ultimate consider less $50 for a set of front pads! I just need something that is as good, if not better than, the AU and does not have the deposit problem. From little I know about pads, the AU was overheated. Adding brake duct on s street car is not a good option. What is the difference between the HP+ and DTC60? I wonder anyone has experience with DTC60/HP+ combo?
    Gabriel

The DTC60 has a higher operating temperature than the DTC30 and the DTC30 is higher than the HP+. You would never get the 60's hot enough in street use. Stick with the HP+ F/R. If you cook them on track days, consider getting some DTC30 or DTC60 for track use.
    ...and across the line.

I've been very happy with the Hawk HP+ on the track and the street. On Friday my brakes felt odd, but I think they may not have been properly bedded in since they were flawless on Saturday. Better braking technique may also have been in play. They do squeak and dust on the street, but I've got black wheels so I can be lazy about cleaning them. As such, I'm running them with NAPA (Brembo) rotors on the street too. If they're too squeaky/dusty for the street, you can always swap back to HPS for daily duty.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

If you are NA, HP+ should be enough brake pad for you at the track, provided you've got decent brake fluid.

When you get home, pull the HP+ and pop on your HPS. Done.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

trickyrix - which NAPA rotors are you using, the cheapies, or the premium?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Premium... I think they were about $30/ea. Not bad for genu-wine Eye-talian craftsmanship...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

NAPA has 3 grades of rotors for NAs. I bought the middle grade for just less than $20 with the TDR discount at the NAPA store near TDR.

AAA members get a discount at NAPA too.

Damn...NC rotors are $45 and $70
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    NAPA has 3 grades of rotors for NAs. I bought the middle grade for just less than $20 with the TDR discount at the NAPA store near TDR.
    NAPA has a TDR discount???
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    NAPA has a TDR discount???
    The one on Forrest near the shop but I wasn't aware it was a "group" discount.

Schultz.jpeg
    ...and across the line.

when rebuilding my motor earlier this year half the parts i got from town north had "Gary" or "TDR" on them, so maybe Gary should start his own "groupon" server
    95 r white

So Gab what did you end up buying?

I have not. I will pick up a set of Hawk Plus and try it out. The Axxis Ultimate is nice but not good enough for track like Hallett. At MSR the Axxis Ultimate did not give me any problem.
    Gabriel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast