Thread: Thinking About Wheels & Tires

Default Thinking About Wheels & Tires

We're talking about a 2004 MSM here with 17" stock wheels.

I'd like to pick up a separate set of wheels for autox to save the hassles of trying to either (a) run different tires on the same wheels or (b) wearing out my street tires on the track.

My question (and the thinking behind it) is this: would I be better off running light 15" wheels on the street or at the track. NOW, before you tell me that lighter wheels will improve my lap times, consider these points:

* 15" will result in a better ride on the street, where most potholes, bumps, curbs, etc. are located.
    * I'm a novice autocrosser (I've done it 3 times in my life), so I doubt that lighter wheels would make any difference in my times.
    * 205/40-17 street competition tires cost about the same as 205/50-15s do, so I wouldn't save much by buying 15" comp tires (which will get worn out more and thus require more frequent replacement.

I know, running the 17" MSM steamrollers on the track seems nuts, but I'm thinking it may be the way to go.

Comments? Suggestions?

S.

Well if you want to autox in a stock class you have to have the same size as stock wheels. Other than that, like you say, the difference wont be much. It would be on preference. How ever do 15s fit on MSMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    How ever do 15s fit on MSMs?
    Yes. Most do since MSMs have stock brakes. Good point about remaining in stock class. This decision is getting easier...

S.

Just buy a set of Kosei 15x7 K1-TS rims. Put some tires on them. Decide.

I'd probably lean toward the 15's for street use since you'll get more enjoyment out of them. If you don't like the 15's I'll swap you even for one of my extra sets of OEM 16's.

I should probably have clarified: this question matters because I would prefer to have the 15s shipped with tires already mounted and balanced (and maybe heat cycled). Thus, the initial decision regarding use must be made ahead of time. I may experiment as time goes by.

TC -- I agree: the 15s would be enjoyed more on the road, where the steamrollers tend to pound and thud over every imperfection.

S.

I forget now since there are modded MSMs here, what have you done to yours? That might help the stock class question, also what events are you planning to run? The S2k events just have an Rtire and street tire class. Either way, its only 7-8 months if you dont like your decision you can change it.

All I've done is a rollbar and air horns. If FM's I/C and full exhaust really does give the 26hp/38lb ft gains that they claim it does, then I must admit that that would be mighty tempting. Trouble is, I'd get blown into some ridiculous class with no chance of competing. I want to autox to (a) learn how to control the car and (b) have fun. I'm not particularly competitive by nature, but I still don't want to be the slowest guy in my class. There are also warranty issues with the FM I/C. Hence, I'll probably keep things pretty stock until the warranty has a chance to think about expiring. Wow, that was a long winded answer!

FM's Chart.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    I should probably have clarified: this question matters because I would prefer to have the 15s shipped with tires already mounted and balanced (and maybe heat cycled). Thus, the initial decision regarding use must be made ahead of time. I may experiment as time goes by.

TC -- I agree: the 15s would be enjoyed more on the road, where the steamrollers tend to pound and thud over every imperfection.

S.
    I'd go for the FM deal with Kumho MX's mounted on K1-TS's then... In fact, I very well may before the year's out.