Thread: Control arm.

Default Control arm.

Ok basically earlier this year I nailed a curb with my front passenger side wheel, which made the camber +.8*
    The guy who did my alignment the next day said he could only get that side to -.4* due to a bent lower control arm.

So my rears are -1.7 and fronts are -.4

He didn't say they could fix it and didn't recommend anyone.

I need to know where to take it to get a second opinion from someone that knows what they're doing and would not try to rip me off.

Thanks in advance!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Rogue at Miata Solutions. He's practically your neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Rogue at Miata Solutions. He's practically your neighbor.
    I already talked to him. He didn't get a good look at it but said it may not be bent.

It didn't look bent when I checked it out either, assuming you're talking about the same incident.

If its not bent, could be a stripped cam bolt.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

If you haven't replaced all the alignment bolts, they're likely in need of replacing. Mazdaspeed has fantastic pricing on them (You've signed up with them, right? ) Get a full set of 8 and have them installed during your next alignment. The new ones are beefier than the stock bolts and are less prone to stretching.

Planet Miata has salvage LCA's for $75 and they've got a 25% off sale going for phone in orders. It's worth a phone call to chat with them about it at any rate (and do discuss bushings)

Bent control arms are a bear to isolate without swapping them out. The R&R itself is pretty straight forward. If it's not the LCA, there's a racers market for them, so they can be flipped for $$ recovery.

Chris

THe first thing that bends in that type of an impact is the upper a-arm rear bolt. It's about 12" long and becomes an "S' shape. Best way to tell is:
    1. remove tire
    2. loosen the nut on the rear bolt of the upper a-arm
    3. try and turn the bolt with a wrench
    If it binds, it is bent. The worst part of fixing this is getting the bent one out. I've always had to use a recip saw and cut it in pieces.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'