Thread: A decent torque wrench?

Default A decent torque wrench?

Well another torque wrench is broken, and obviously it's an important tool so I need a new one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? I know there is snap on, but I figured there had to be a more reasonable option then that.

I use a 1/2" drive Craftsman Digitork torque wrench. I've had it for several years, and it's served me well. Had to rebuild the ratchet a few months back, but now it's good as new.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I am happy with my 1/2" Craftsman Microtork although it doesn't seem to get very good reviews on Sears's site. One of these days, I hope to pick up a Toptul preset torque wrench for lugnuts.

Driver

IIRC, GRM did a torque wrench test and the HarborFreight one (<$20 with coupon) was the TCB recommendation. It's what I use :)

+1 on Titus. no issues with mine. i do try not to beat it up too much though..
    95 r white

The harbor fright models are good if you are only using them onced in a long while. I found a great deal at a pawn shop on a Snap-on torque wrench($50) which I promptly doubled my money off of and bought a different brand (still a US manufactured model) with a lesser known name brand from the same pawn shop back several years ago. I have never had an issue with it.

My father has had pretty good luck with his Craftsman model as well. He has used his for about 10-15 years as well.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I bought a 1/2" Husky 250 lb/ft torque wrench from Home Depot and it's held up well so far. They claim it has a lifetime warranty... The price was right as well...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I have used the 1/2" HF wrench for 3 years, and replaced it once in that time, under warranty. I bought it when they were on sale for $9.99, and it compared reasonably on its accuracy with a friend's Snap-On. Its one of the few items I've bought the "protection plan" for, since it make the replacement "no questions asked."
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

HF torque wrench FTW. For $10 you can replace it yearly if you choose to, but mine is at least 5-6 years old.

I've used the HF 1/2" torque wrench for about 12 years now. Probably ought to invest in a replacement soon.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.