Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire sizes and classes

Default Tire sizes and classes

I have JUNK Nankang so-called tires and want to get some Dunlop Star Specs. The car came stock with 185/60/14s, would it be ok to buy 195/60/14s? I don't plan to win nationals right now, just playing and improving with SCCA and ER events locally. Would this be an issue for E-stock?

Any tire you can fit on the stock size rim - stock class. The street touring classes (ST, STS....) allow different size wheels but do have width limits and tire width limits.

The 195's will be fine on stock rims.

SCCA & ER
    Stock classes are limited to wheel size. Basically whatever size tire you can squeeze on the stock size wheels for your car.
    ST classes are limited by class
    SP & P are unlimited.

BMWCCA & NTXAS
    Whatever size you want classes are by engine displacement.

Porsche
    Based off SCCA classing.
    M3 is always the answer.

Your steering wheel has technically already bumped ya out of E-Stock.

Good stuff here - http://scca.org/documents/Solo_Rules...solo_rules.pdf

F. Alternate steering wheels are allowed, provided the outside diameter
    is not changed by more than one inch from the standard size. Steering
    wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Yes. The stock rules for SCCA and ER say that you can put any size tire on the stock size wheel. Since your car came with 14x5.5 inch wheels, you must stay with that size wheels and you must be with in 1/4 inch of the stock offset. You do not need to keep the OEM wheels. I have 225/50-14 tires on my 14x6 inch wheels. Some people have run 225/50-14 on their 14x5.5 inch wheels.

Some one else can chime in on the STS rules for wheels and tires.

EDIT: Damn, I need to learn to type faster. No one had replied when I started typing my reply.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

You can stay in E-Stock but you may not be happy with all the restrictions. For me I figure it's better to be last in a faster class than last in E-Stock. I also try not to infringe on Doug's territory.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

I doubt anyone will complain about the steering wheel if you stay in Stock at local SCCA and ER events. So, if that is the route you want to go, then go with the 195s. If you want to change to STS, then get some 15x7 wheels with 195s.

I'm planning to be in E-Stock next season so not so sure jrj512 is correct on his assumption. <evil laugh>

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'm planning to be in E-Stock next season so not so sure jrj512 is correct on his assumption.
    +1!!!

Tough crowd.

GregW - a good option for you at local autox would be the old Falken Azenis - they used to be THE tire to have just a few years ago, and are still excellent autox tires, not quite as sticky as the Dunlops, but close, and 1/2 the price:

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...t-615+86h.html
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    GregW - a good option for you at local autox would be the old Falken Azenis - they used to be THE tire to have just a few years ago, and are still excellent autox tires, not quite as sticky as the Dunlops, but close, and 1/2 the price:

The problem with those is that they cycle out too quickly. You can have half the tread left, but they have no more grip.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Any tire you can fit on the stock size rim - stock class. The street touring classes (ST, STS....) allow different size wheels but do have width limits and tire width limits.

The 195's will be fine on stock rims.
    I guess that is why I couldn't find anything in the rule book about tire sizes. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    SCCA & ER
    Stock classes are limited to wheel size. Basically whatever size tire you can squeeze on the stock size wheels for your car.
    ST classes are limited by class
    SP & P are unlimited.

BMWCCA & NTXAS
    Whatever size you want classes are by engine displacement.

Porsche
    Based off SCCA classing.
    Cool. So Im good!

Your steering wheel has technically already bumped ya out of E-Stock.

Good stuff here - http://scca.org/documents/Solo_Rules...solo_rules.pdf
    My stock wheel was junk and the "outer shell" was broken away from the inner metal ring and therefore made me feel unsafe and out of control. I just so happened to have a Grant wheel sitting in my garage waiting for my Jimmy to be completed and a $20 install kit later, I have a safe and cool looking wheel the exact same diameter as my stock wheel. I can even see my gauges still! hehe Technical, if someone bumps me out of novice e-stock for my wheel. They technicaly have bigger problems than I do. hahah

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Yes. The stock rules for SCCA and ER say that you can put any size tire on the stock size wheel. Since your car came with 14x5.5 inch wheels, you must stay with that size wheels and you must be with in 1/4 inch of the stock offset. You do not need to keep the OEM wheels. I have 225/50-14 tires on my 14x6 inch wheels. Some people have run 225/50-14 on their 14x5.5 inch wheels.

Some one else can chime in on the STS rules for wheels and tires.

EDIT: Damn, I need to learn to type faster. No one had replied when I started typing my reply.
    Really. Thats good info to know.

EDIT: it took you 10 minutes to type that? You need a speech to text converter. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    You can stay in E-Stock but you may not be happy with all the restrictions. For me I figure it's better to be last in a faster class than last in E-Stock. I also try not to infringe on Doug's territory.
    I would like to de-throne Doug. He has been there far too long without proper competition. muhahah

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I doubt anyone will complain about the steering wheel if you stay in Stock at local SCCA and ER events. So, if that is the route you want to go, then go with the 195s. If you want to change to STS, then get some 15x7 wheels with 195s.
    Cool. Yeah, everyone I met is so nice and helpful, I couldnt Imagine someone complaining about my wheels. Well, maybe if I start to win. You know, my new decals add to my faster times and therefore the theory has been proven. Stickers make cars fast!

I'm planning to be in E-Stock next season so not so sure jrj512 is correct on his assumption. <evil laugh>

Its on now.
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post

I read a review and read about the Falken's heat cycle a bit too quick. They still have more than half life but wouldn't heat up and stick anymore. Thats why I decided to go with the Dunlops. I can get the Dunlops mounted and balanced for under $450 also.
    I am running a set of 275/40/18 Falkens on my Jimmy. I like them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    The problem with those is that they cycle out too quickly. You can have half the tread left, but they have no more grip.
    exactly
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

best mega-quote-paste-reply of all time!
    Polished Turd Racing

Didn't want anyone to feel left out. Heh

Dunlop Star Specs are are national backorder for 185/60/14 and 195/60/14

What to buy now? Falkens??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Dunlop Star Specs are are national backorder for 185/60/14 and 195/60/14

What to buy now? Falkens??
    In 14"s, that's your only other choice if you want tires now.

Remember that there are a number of UHP tires out there that are going to be a massive improvement over what you have, but won;t have the ultimate grip of Star Specs. Not to talk you out of them, but I think a new autox-er will find satisfactory results from any number of affordable performance tires. You still have other things to improve on your car before tires become a truly "limiting" factor, and you can flat spot and otherwise tear-up a set of tires pretty easily while you're learning the ropes. If you get serious, you'll end up buying a set of tires every season (if not more) anyway.

If you can wait, you'll love the Dunlops, but I don't think you'll be losing too much performance if you go with the Azenis or another affordable alternative. My $.02
    Polished Turd Racing

Hmm, Tirerack.com shows the Star Specs in 185/60/14 in stock, with a $20 rebate. Hard to beat that.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast