Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apex Driving Academy MSR 3.1 10/18

Kurt: Nice lines and glad you found some speed as the day progressed. Sorry for holding you up near the end there. The first time you see me was session 4 with Altiain in the car and the last part there was session 5. Both those sessions my rear camera was in photo mode but the front one got you after the pass. That's a sweet Supra you have there.

Goofy: Yeah Movie Maker doesn't recognize mpeg4 format which is what the gopro hd does. Movie Maker Live does but won't run on XP.

ken o: I have over 4 hours of raw footage. Wouldn't that take longer than real time to resize it? Others have offered to help but I fear it's a bit time consuming a job. My Hallett footage is being cut by Magma though and I should have something to post soon from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Kurt: Nice lines and glad you found some speed as the day progressed. Sorry for holding you up near the end there. The first time you see me was session 4 with Altiain in the car and the last part there was session 5. Both those sessions my rear camera was in photo mode but the front one got you after the pass. That's a sweet Supra you have there.

Goofy: Yeah Movie Maker doesn't recognize mpeg4 format which is what the gopro hd does. Movie Maker Live does but won't run on XP.

ken o: I have over 4 hours of raw footage. Wouldn't that take longer than real time to resize it? Others have offered to help but I fear it's a bit time consuming a job. My Hallett footage is being cut by Magma though and I should have something to post soon from him.
    Nails: Please have Magma edit out my screaming during my ride along. K? Thanks!

Hehe I took Altiain for a spin too at MSR. We roused the grasshoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post

Thanks, I'm a bit rusty since it's been about a year and a half since the last time I was at MSR. No apology needed, dude! :) I was actually trying to stay behind you for a little to get some video since you had the rear facing camera. lol You were driving that little miata real well.

I'm using an Aiptek A-HD camera which has a format of .mov with h.264 encoding. This is the same encoding that your GoPro uses. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit these files and it's a real nice program. It will work with XP as long as your machine is able to handle the HD video.

I also use RaceChrono2AVI with my data logs to add a dash overlay. It's good for reviewing when and where I am actually going full throttle and what my speed is through the turn. Here's the last two laps of the day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH1P7edfrc8

I'll look into Cyberlink. Nice lap times, you were 6-7 seconds quicker than me. You seemed to be catching the rear alot though. Were those Falken 615s getting greasy at the end of the session?

Naw, the Falkens work well for me. I set the pressure to 36psi hot after the first session and didn't feel a need to adjust after that. It's just me trying to get on the throttle earlier coming out of the turns.

Only three months later but here's the first video I've got uploaded from that day. Thanks Ken for the help. My dad's mac couldn't see the files when I was up there in Indy last month and my comp sees them and down sizes the res but still works.

Nice driving. Were the other guys on their warm up lap? You should have found the chief instructor and demanded to be moved to the fastest run group.

Yeah, that boat is movin'.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Was my first time on the 3.1 That was first session of the day so I guess they were taking it easy to learn the track or something but it wasn't warm up. They only had intermediate and advanced so maybe next time I'll ask for advanced. Then I can wave you two guys by me.

No offense intended as I'm sure you are a great driver, but I don't understand how you could have passed all those cars in a single lap with a 143hp Miata. Did those folks have their grandmothers in their cars? Were they worried about spilling their coffee? Were they texting Brett Farve's girlfriends? I mean, you blew by most of them... does Apex show people where the gas pedal is?

I like your video with the backward look at the cars you've just passed, but I'd spend less time on those shots and more on your forward view. A couple of seconds on the folks behind you is all we need... I'd rather watch your line and steering inputs than the front bumper of the people who don't matter anymore.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

No offense intended as I'm sure you are a great driver, but I don't understand how you could have passed all those cars in a single lap with a 143hp Miata. Did those folks have their grandmothers in their cars? Were they worried about spilling their coffee? Were they texting Brett Farve's girlfriends? I mean, you blew by most of them... does Apex show people where the gas pedal is?

I like your video with the backward look at the cars you've just passed, but I'd spend less time on those shots and more on your forward view. A couple of seconds on the folks behind you is all we need... I'd rather watch your line and steering inputs than the front bumper of the people who don't matter anymore.
    None taken and all very good points. I dwelled on some of the rear shots to show them trying to close on me in the straights. The yellow Vette gains a little ground before Ricochet and the white Mustang catches up a bit before Rattlesnake. The reason my 143 horses beat all those ponies is that my horses don't slow down for corners. If I maintain that speed around the track...
    you get the idea. It's not that I'm that fast it's that those guys were that slow. I think they were beginners lying about their experience so they could run the 3.1. Put me in an advanced group and I'll be pointing by all day long guys like sixace, mr. brg, trackdog, ken o, altiain, miatamoto, etc.

Also, to be totally honest, the RX8 and Porsche were edited in. I found those two later in the session so I actually only passed three Vettes, a Trans AM, and two Mustangs in a single lap.

I'll try to post some clean laps later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123