Thread: Hospital MSRP

Default Hospital MSRP

About a month and a half ago I had a 5 day visit for a little procedure called a "semi-hemi laminectomy", or something like that for a blown disc. The upside is I am walking normally, something I will never again take for granted.

Since then, the bills have been trickling in; surgeon, anesthesiologist, hospital, a doctor I never saw, x-rays and the many many folks who read them, and the invoice from a homeless guy who accidentally stumbled into my room one day.

Of course there's a huge difference in the charges that were submitted and what insurance actually paid. Anyone care to take a guess what the total (as of today) might be?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

5 days? I'll go $30K.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

$60k
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

If we're playing Price is Right style, $1

Realistically though, I'd say $35k

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    $60k
    Show-off.....

PS
    Wooo Wooo

It should be free shouldn't it??

Keep in mind, this is the MSRP, charges submitted to the insurance company that nobody in their right mind would pay.l

BTW, y'all aren't even warm.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    $60k
    For that price they show you an xray of a healthy spine and tell you you're halfway there.

Driver

open heart surgery with a week in intensive care was > $350k before the surgeon's costs came in... so I'll bet $150k.

Oops, spoke too soon, as today's mail just arrived with another bill. So far the total is $114,750 I couldn't believe it either till I ran the totals. I am disputing a $190 discharge exam fee from a doctor that never showed up the day I checked out. That'll help a bit.

That'll buy someone a nice Porsche and cover the CC membership for another year... or a night's bar tab for the Mavericks.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Open heart surgery I expect big bills. This wasn't even that big a deal. I woke up feeling great and was walking around as soon as they would let me, 4 hours later. Still have pain meds left over as I just didn't need them, a fact I attribute to my surgeon's skills, Dr. George Cravens (no relation to Wes) . If you ever need a neurosurgeon, he's the man in Tarrant county, I had an ambulance chaser lawyer friend check them all out before choosing him. Heck, I hardly even have a scar.

If you're wondering why it's so expensive...ask your ambulance chasing lawyer friend, or everybody that did something for you malpractice insurance agent.

Glad everything went well for you.
    Last edited by CarCar; 10-21-2010 at 10:17 PM.
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.