Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NTAXS Autocross #6, 11/21/2010, Pennington Field

Last DFW event of the season!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Course:

Interesting. You should make the loop direction optional.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Criss Cross Crash for real this time.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    That would be pretty cool, but I think it could really confuse people working on the course, as they would not have an expectation of the vehicle's path.

Safety shmafety... natural selection FTW!
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Safety shmafety... natural selection FTW!
    Onething just felt a disturbance and sat up in his barcalounger.

Suspension Modder

OK, this is my first-evah autocross... good time for a loop. What's the time penalty for going the wrong way around?

Couple questions:
    1) This is just going to look like an unbroken and confusing sea of cones, isn't it??

2) Where do we "pit". There's more parking lot north and west of the one we're running on, I'm assuming we can park over there, clean out our cars, etc etc etc.

3) A couple friends have expressed an interest in seeing me make an ass of myself... what are the rules regarding spectators?

4) Not a question, just a comment. If you look at the area on Google Maps, there's snow on the ground and on a couple rooftops, where it's fairly protected from the sun. We average what, 5 days a decade where there's snow accumulation? What are the odds that Google's satellite goes over on that particular morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cwemyss View Post
    1) This is just going to look like an unbroken and confusing sea of cones, isn't it??
    Since it's your first time, then it might. However, if you understand how the pointer cones work, then it will be much easier to see where you are going. We can explain this to you that morning, but in general, if you see an upright cone with a cone laying down next to it, then it is a pointer cone that is laying down. Exiting that gate, you turn into the side on which the pointer in laying. Look at the map again with this in mind and you will see what I mean.

2) Where do we "pit". There's more parking lot north and west of the one we're running on, I'm assuming we can park over there, clean out our cars, etc etc etc.
    Paddock in the the lot west of the course. When you arrive, park in that lot with the others and prepare your car. Arrive no later than 8 AM to allow yourself plenty of time to prepare.

3) A couple friends have expressed an interest in seeing me make an ass of myself... what are the rules regarding spectators?
    They are welcome to watch and even ride with you, but they will need to sign the waiver form (along with everyone else), and they will need a helmet if they ride with you. They can use a loaner helmet, if available. Loaner helmets are free, but you must have a head-sock, which we sell for $5. Watching autocross, as POS Racing puts it, is about as much fun as watching paint dry, but without the benefit of fumes. Rather than watch, they should join in the fun and compete.

4) Not a question, just a comment. If you look at the area on Google Maps, there's snow on the ground and on a couple rooftops, where it's fairly protected from the sun. We average what, 5 days a decade where there's snow accumulation? What are the odds that Google's satellite goes over on that particular morning.
    Yeah, I noticed that, too.

There are two keys to avoiding the "sea of cones" effect:

1) Walk the course at least 3 times, more if you can. This makes a huge difference when you really pay attention to refernce points and not just stroll around chatting.

2) Ride at least once in another car before you drive so you see the course at speed.

Not related to the sea of cones, but ask an instructor to ride on your first couple of runs. They can help you avoid doing anything really bad or dangerous. Dont' worry, it gets easier quickly.
    Polished Turd Racing

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Einsteins anybody?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

To help out some of the new and novice drivers, we will have a Novice Walk-thru at this event at 8:45. An instructor will walk you through the course and explain various elements, how to handle them, and provide explanation to some of the basic rules and concepts.

Don't forget that you can also request to ride along with an instructor and/or have one ride with you.

JJ
    Won't make this one as I'll be in Sedona on vacation but count me in for the winter series

Is that Ataim that I see registered?

It also looks like we'll have a V8 Miata joining us.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Einsteins anybody?
    Check. I'm in. Lox and cream cheese is a great way to start any day!!
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Yes that me. And the former Mrs Monkey (not mad monkey's) will also be driving.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Einsteins anybody?
    That was my plan... I figured I wouldn't be the only one.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'm in.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

In
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast