Thread: Miata's family-car cousin...

Suspension Modder

Default Miata's family-car cousin...

So as I was throwing my Mazda3 around the Pennington track yesterday in a barely-competent fashion, it was hard to miss the fact that the body roll is... significant.

So I'm thinking that sway bars are the most bang-for-the-buck. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any other cheap/easy suspension and handling tweaks and mods that you'd suggest?

Driver

sway bars are cheap and sometimes easy to install. On my previous front heavy car they made an incredible amount of difference. Are the Mazdaspeed 3 components compatible with the normal Mazda3?

Suspension Modder

Not sure... it looks like for 04-07 they were, but not certain about the '09. I posted on a Mazda3 forum about it, but haven't gotten anything back yet.

Sways will definitely help. Keep in mind the SCCA classing rules if you intend to autocross on a regular basis in other clubs. Some use them, some don't, but its good to keep it in mind before you spend $$.

A decent set of lowering springs and better struts will go a LONG way, along with a front Sway bar. The other most beneficial upgrades are tires, then alignment. At that point, you've got a car that can handle quickly and predictably, which is what you want in autox.

Many of the forums tend to have great deals on used strut/spring combos, since a lot of ricer guys find they want to go even lower and buy coilovers.

Get a good custom alignment done and you'll think you just bought a new car. Unless you buy an unlimited-alignment package, its best to wait until you do your suspension work, or you'll just have to realign afterwards.

There is a MS3 guy who comes to a lot of events; he'd be a good source of setup info.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Suspension Modder

Anyone have experience, good or bad, with Racing Beat? This is what I've been looking at so far.

Springs: http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda-3/Springs/71080.html
    F Sway: http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda-3/Suspension/74100.html
    R Sway: http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda-3/Suspension/74102.html

They're selling them as a set for $510, then it'd be another $50 for new front sway end links. The springs lower about a half inch with a 20% increase in spring rate; front sway bar goes from 21mm stock to 28.5; rear goes from 20 to 27. So a major increase in roll stiffness, and a moderate increase in spring stiffness.

And any recommendations on new struts? If I can convince my wife that a) this is a good place to spend $$$ and b) it won't shake her teeth out when she rides with me, that might be a possibility. The RB website has adjustable Koni Sports, the full set would be $626. I wouldn't mind finding something a little less expensive. A set of autox-specific wheels/tires would be cool too, but that's also going to run into (very reasonable) spousal money concerns... I figure keeping the tires that I've got firmly planted on the pavement is a good start.

I saw PTPForrest's post in the "Where to get alignment" thread, and I figured that once I've got the new suspension parts on I'll go ahead and get the unlimited alignment deal, if they're still running it.

Driver

So... hold on there and put the checkbook away.

Buy seat time before upgrading the car... and then you'll figure out you want a different car. Ask OZMDD about putting money into an econobox and how that works out. You will not be happy and you won't get the money back (and you'll still want something else).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    So... hold on there and put the checkbook away.

Buy seat time before upgrading the car... and then you'll figure out you want a different car. Ask OZMDD about putting money into an econobox and how that works out. You will not be happy and you won't get the money back (and you'll still want something else).
    Very good advice goofy!

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Very good advice goofy!
    It only took me spending $15k over a couple years to figure that out. Learn from my mistake.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Every time I think about spending money to make my car faster, I get a really good driver to drive my car. They have always shown me that the main thing keeping me from going faster is ME, not the car.

I agree with goofygrin, spend your money on schools and seat time. Then, no matter what you drive, you will be faster.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Listen to the voices of experience. And most would recommend TIRES as the first change - on a second set of affordable wheels will keep the car more pleasantly street-able.