Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now THAT is a BS ticket

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    ... next exit ...
    Most officers are appreciative of this so long as you make it clear that you are going to pull over. A turn signal, slowing down 5-10 mph from what you were previously travelling, etc. communicate your willingness to cooperate. They generally don't want to stand on the shoulder of an Interstate any more than you want to park there.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    "Screw them...<snip>...if a said A$$Hole decides to pull me over on the highway, I hope he's patient as I'm waiting, until the next exit where I can pull over in a safe place. If he doesn't like it I'll see him in court!"
    Welllllll... that's one way to go, I guess. But I've never found it advantageous to piss off a police officer. They can make your life a whole lot more miserable than you can make theirs.

tailchaser has the right approach in my opinion... but your experiences are undoubtedly different than mine. Ever gotten out of a ticket by being confrontational?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

As a former cop who has had his driver's door taken off while exiting the cruiser during a traffic stop, I completely understand the need for the law. Moving to another lane is certainly appreciated by cops, and to me, even an attempt to move over would be sufficient, especially if speed was also reduced a bit. Sounds to me like the cop was pissed and took it out on your dad. Personally, I would fight a ticket like that, especially if I made an attempt to get over. I saw nothing that states a specified distance the driver must comply with....
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    ... even an attempt to move over would be sufficient, especially if speed was also reduced a bit. ... Personally, I would fight a ticket like that, especially if I made an attempt to get over. I saw nothing that states a specified distance the driver must comply with....
    I agree. The attempt to move over should indicate to the officer that he is not going to get hit by that car because the driver is aware of him. That is, after all, the safe environment intended by the law.

Glad all you lost was your door, Oz!

Plus... it's a matter of perception. If the officer felt his safety was compromised, then he felt justified in writing up the percieved offense. Perhaps, later in court, cooler heads will prevail and your father will be able to demonstrate, that, yes, he was making a concerted effort to move over in accordance to the law. At least, we can hope so...

Glad all you lost was your door, Oz!
    ------------------------------------------

Well, we won't talk about the 18 wheeler that nailed me while directing traffic at an accident scene on the interstate...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12