Thread: American Top Gear

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default American Top Gear

Not bad for a first episode, but they will never be able to top the end of the first show
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I was pretty bored with the second episode. I really dislike the fat guy. They need to dump him.

Having the Evo get stuck behind cars was very boring. I thought the idea was to close the road and let him go all-out.

I want to keep watching and hope that it matures into something good, but I am really losing interest.

That was the second episode? I thought that was the first episode. I'll never watch it again
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

The EVO bit just seemed very staged to me. It also was more like an infomercial than an episode. They also seem to mention every Mercedes out there whenever possible...maybe because that is who is sponsering them. I can read the headstone now: "Here lies American Top Gear...it sucked then it died."

Edit:
    I should add one reason I like the original version is that if they don't like a car they don't pull any punches no matter who it is.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Driver

difference between for-pay TV and free TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    The EVO bit just seemed very staged to me. It also was more like an infomercial than an episode. They also seem to mention every Mercedes out there whenever possible...maybe because that is who is sponsering them. I can read the headstone now: "Here lies American Top Gear...it sucked then it died."

Edit:
    I should add one reason I like the original version is that if they don't like a car they don't pull any punches no matter who it is.
    The Evo segment was way too staged for me too, but I did still enjoy it. When the skiers jumped the car, I rolled my eyes. I also kept thinking there was no way the Evo would perform that well on the snow without chains, I tried to pause it at a few points to see if I could see any but I could not tell.

They were rough on the V8 Vantage though and they bash the Suzuki often, so there is hope. I am waiting to see if they will bad mouth an American car.

Wow -> http://jalopnik.com/#!5757204

Jalopnik just confirmed the network's picking up TGUSA for a second season with hosts Rutledge Wood, Adam Ferrara, and Tanner Foust.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Rut has got to go...other than that (him), I like the show for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    +1

Rut is simply not funny, nor does he bring any unique perspective to the show (which is what James May did for TG until I simply grew to like him.) Honestly, I'm not all that big on Adam either, as he always seems a little stiff, liek he is reading from a teleprompter and doesn't like the script. Doesn't the show need an a**hole and/or someone who knows way too much about the technical/physics side of things? Calling Andy Hollis...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

There goes your chance of ever being friends with Jimmy again.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Agreed. He seems like he would be better off on one of those food shows. They have the driver Tanner, but they really need a serious car geek that can just spit out the facts on all different types of cars.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Interesting. Rutledge is actually growing on me. He's witty and seems to be enough of a car guy to make relevant comments. Now Adam--douchebag loser. No car sense, no camera presence, HORRIBLE interviewer, and the most unfunny comedian ever.

On second thought, maybe Rutledge looks good because Adam is SO bad...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

That show is still on?

I have not watched an episode since the snow race.

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Interesting. Rutledge is actually growing on me. He's witty and seems to be enough of a car guy to make relevant comments. Now Adam--douchebag loser. No car sense, no camera presence, HORRIBLE interviewer, and the most unfunny comedian ever.

On second thought, maybe Rutledge looks good because Adam is SO bad...
    It took this long for the whole show to grow on me, but I've never really minded Rut either. Can't stand Adam. The show, overall, is not nearly as bad as I expected.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I actually like Rutledge more than Tanner and Adam. Tanner is kind of a tool and Adam is just trying to be funny and seems as if he never cared about cars until he got on this show.

As for the show as a whole: In the last 6 months I watched every episode of the original Top Gear. If you've seen season 1 of the original, then you know that even the original top gear was not all that great. James was not on the show yet and it was just kind of dry with no identity. It wasn't until season 3 that they started to become Top Gear as we know and love it. American Top Gear just needs to "find itself" and it could get better. I'll give them a chance...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...