Thread: 5spd transmission output shaft.

Default 5spd transmission output shaft.

Long story short, bought the car about a week ago with a bad u-joint. Well it was worse than i thought. The whole joint had imploded in a matter of a few miles. Vibration went from just a bit to "the dash might come off" didnt drive it very far at all. Got a new prop shaft and seal. Pulled the old shaft and saw that a brass sleeve had come out of the end of the tail shaft. It surrounds the splines. It wont press back in all the way. Leaves about 1/8th still outside the housing. All gears shift smooth, no more vibration after shaft replacement, it does drive now just wont seal with brass sleeve out of place. Im thinking just replace the whole unit as its got 175,*** on the clock, plus i planed to do clutch, flywheel and PP anyway. I have (ok) pics but cant post them as im at work. Anyone know what im dealing with at the moment? Ill post pics asap. Also if anyone knows where to get a good exploded view of the tail housing that would help.

Stock 1997 5spd

If you are planning to do a clutch you might just as well swap the trans, but I have replaced just the tail housing on my current trans. Of course it was out of the car so it was easier, but it was simple and didn't take long. Other that that I am of no help.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Doesn't sound like that big a deal to fix once the tranny is out of the car and on a bench. If it works fine otherwise, probably cheapest and easiest to yank it out, clean it up and fix it, change fluids, clutch and shifter bushings, then drive it for another 170K.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Here is a phone pic of the situation. The brass sleeve is the inner most part before the splined shaft. It is a bit burred from pushing it back in.

Does anyone know where to get an OEM type flywheel? Ive been calling around and no one seems to have them.

Mazda-Nissan Heaven(Junk Yard)
    Track Dog Racing (Black Roadster)

TDR may have one that they pulled off of one of their customer cars or may have one on one of their parts cars.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    This is the rear seal. Is this what you are talking about?
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com...cat=320&page=1
    Yes that is the output shaft seal, however Im talking about a metal sleeve thats just inside the transmission. It would be just behind that seal. When/if i get this housing apart i will take many good pics of it. I cant find a view of it anywhere, not even the stealership.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Are you sure the seal wrx74 posted isn't what you're looking for? There's a rubber section attached to the brass-looking section.
    I think that's all there is to replace back there.

N
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    There's a rubber section attached to the brass-looking section.
    I think that's all there is to replace back there.
    Maybe thats what Im missing. I have a brand new seal in there and its leaking. If there is some other rubber thats supposed to be in there, its gone missing.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is the old sleeve still behind the new sleeve? Maybe you could carefully dremel it out? Careful not to cut or gouge the area around it.

Mr. Miatie,
    I have a stock 1.8 flywheel that you are welcome to have if you need it. It will need to be resurfaced before use, though.
    If you end up needing a replacement transmission, I've got one from a '93 with ~100k miles that's just taking up space.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Is the old sleeve still behind the new sleeve? Maybe you could carefully dremel it out? Careful not to cut or gouge the area around it.
    I didnt put a new sleeve in there. The one that is in there vibrated its way out. It was even with the end of the splined output shaft. I pushed it back in as far as I could, far enought to get the end seal on. I never got a look at what its supposed to look like. I also cant find a good pic of what its supposed to look like. Im off tomorrow and will make my way to Mazda Heaven and have a look at some of their stock.