Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Fuel Pump or relay problem?

Question Potential Fuel Pump or relay problem?

My '99 left me stranded earlier this evening near downtown Fort Worth. I stopped at a stop light and it died, then wouldn't start. acted like it might fire a couple of times but lots of cranking with no luck. I did a quick check and I'm getting spark to the plugs so I'm thinking it's possibly fuel related. maybe the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump. unfortunately I didn't think to do a quick check of the fuzes to see if any were blown. I'm going to run back down where the car's at in the morning to see if I can figure it out. anybody have any tips, tricks, suggestions, or any other ideas what it could be or something to check?

After thinking about it a little, it has seemed to take more cranking than normal this past week to get the car started. Would that be another potential indicator of the fuel pump and/or relay?

Thanks in advance,
    Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Or maybe the alternator is bad and has been draining your battery making it harder to start and now it has failed completely....maybe check the battery 1st...
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Sounds like he's cranking ok, just not getting it to start.

Could be a fuel pump. They tend to go out in a similar fashion as what you are describing.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Did it kick the Check Engine Light?

When the Cam position sensor died in our 2002 the symptoms you report sound very familiar.

Clogged fuel filter?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Did it kick the Check Engine Light?

When the Cam position sensor died in our 2002 the symptoms you report sound very familiar.
    I think mine acted that way when you killed it too!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Will the check engine light go out after a brief period with the key in the on position even if it isn't running (if it's not throwing a code)? Wasn't sure whether it was throwing a code or simply showing that the light was working when the key is initially turned on.

Assuming it's throwing a code, do you know if there is any way to jumper the OBD connector to get it to flash the code on the dash light or do I have to have an OBD-II reader for the '99?

I think I've got a spare cam position sensor in the garage, so that might be worth a try. still suspecting the fuel pump/relay though. I don't remember hearing the fuel pump turn on when I turned the key on. might try hitting it with some starter fluid and if it starts briefly but dies that would be another fuel indicator.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

"Clogged fuel filter? "

I thought about that but I just replaced it this past summer. still could be it but I'm guessing something else.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Driver
    Blog Entries

You can jumper a couple of connectors on the diagnostic port and listen for the pump. I forget which two connectors, (it's on the pointy board,) but it is how I diagnosed the two of mine that died.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Vatozone will check if you have any stored codes for free.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Vatozone will check if you have any stored codes for free.
    Yeah, that's what I normally do. Unfortunately I can't get it there for them to check until I get it running.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

So I pulled the connector at the fuel pump. According to a troubleshooting tips page on the pointy board it says that I should see 12vdc while cracking the engine. I'm only seeing around 8.5-9.5vdc while cracking. When I'm not cranking I'm reading 11.7vdc. makes me suspect the relay.

Before I pulled the plug I didn't ever hear the pump run. Maybe 9.5vdc isn't enough to get it going?
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Ya sure its not the battery??

Ya get it home yet??

Ya sure its not the battery??

Ya get it home yet??
    Definitely not the battery :) it's fuel related. Starts right up with a little shot of starting fluid and then dies after a few seconds when its gone. Fuel pump isnt ever running but I'm still thinking its the.relay. trying to figure out if I can bypass the relay somehow and get 12vdc to the pump to get me home.

Not home yet. Either I can bypass relay or I'm checking to see if my neighbors trailer is available to borrow.

Any idea if the relay on a 1990 is the same as a 99? if so I could pull the one from my 90 and see if that works.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Where U at I have a scanner and would be happy to help anyway I can so you can get it home before the snows start!

From experience - No crank signal = no fuel

But then relay could also be the problem.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 01-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Yeah, I recently had the wire to my cas brake. It would turn over but no fuel. Also a friend with a 99 recently had a similar issue and it was a bad crankshaft position sensor.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Did you get the car home??

Did you get the car home??
    Had dinner plans with friends so went back later this evening to trailer it home. It's now safe and snug in the garage before the big snow.

On the way home earlier today I found a relay in a salvage. figured for $5 it was worth trying. gave it a try before loading on the trailer but it didn't make any difference. Guess I've got a spare relay now if it ever goes out

If it's as cold as they say it's going to be for the next few days it'll just have to sit in the garage until it warms up a little. I've got an extra car so there's no hurry to get it running.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

So I finally got around to taking a look at the Miata tonight. I'm 99.9% sure it's the fuel pump. Trying to decide whether to pickup a used one from a salvage, O'Reilly/Autozone or get a new OEM one. Looks like for the small price difference between O'Reilly and OEM I'm better off staying with the OEM (other than having to wait on Brown Santa to bring it to me). OEM will run me around $200-$220. I can pick up a used one for around $75 but I'm thinking since it's used I don't know how much life it has left. What's the normal lifespan of a miata fuel pump?

Anybody have a recommendation on which way to go?
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

How hard or easy is it to get to? Do you just have to remove the back deck carpet and the big cover plate? I'd probably buy a new OEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast