Thread: After washing engine, car won't rev past 2100 RPM

Default After washing engine, car won't rev past 2100 RPM

I have a 96 with a JR M45 Supercharer. Today I changed out my heater core, valve cover gasket and CAS O-ring. Took her for a test drive, checked all connections and everything was great. Since the oil leak was fixed, I deceided to go ahead and wash the engine. I covered the coil pack as usual and did my normal cleaning. Started the car up and she seemed fine until I tried to accelerate and then she began missing badly.

I pulled into a parking lot, pulled the plug wires and there was water in the plugs. I ended up drying out as much water as I could with a towel then I pulled the plugs, blew out the plug holes with compressed air and installed new plugs. She started right up and reved as normal, about 20 seconds in, the RPM's dropped and again won't rev past 2100. I checked the vac hoses loose connections and everything I can think of. The plug wires are magnacores with less than 5000 miles on them. I'm at a total loss here.

The strange thing is that on start up it will rev normal, then after about 20 seconds back to the same symptoms. She idles perfectly.
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Let it idle a while to bake out all the water. Sounds like something is still moist.

I guess that can't hurt, I really didn't let it idle for long after I changed the plugs. I had to leave her in a Kroger parking lot so maybe an overnight sit will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    I had to leave her in a Kroger parking lot so maybe an overnight sit will help as well.
    Well if it is still in the Kroger lot in the morning it may have dried out some more. (Although it is drizzling in Ft. Worth currently)

I've been looking for a good deal on an NA. Which Kroger's did you leave it out again???

Anyways, hope everything works out okay!
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    I've been looking for a good deal on an NA. Which Kroger's did you leave it out again???

Anyways, hope everything works out okay!
    LOL..nice! :)

Default *******update******

Started her up this morn..same issues, the rain is not helping!

Chugger home at about 20mph with the wife following. Pullled into the garage, popped the hood and pulled the connection that goes to the throttle body on the SC...a bit of water came out. Sprayed WD40 in the connection(both sides) and then blew them out with compressed air. Started her up and ZOOM!!!!! Took her out for a spin and did doughnuts in the street...lol, SHE'S BACK!!!!

Blow all the water out or soak it up with paper towels. Hopefully the coil pack wasn't cracked.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!