Thread: I need numbers for the car on the 911

Default I need numbers for the car on the 911

I've waited too long, so I'm in a pinch. I'm considering making large number plates for the doors and want a magnet that won't come off like the last ones did. Does anyone have a good experience with magnetic numbers and where can I get them?

Also, has anyone used the static-cling style numbers? I prefer this option because I need numbers all the way around the car, with no ferrous metals on the front or rear.

Thanks for the help.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Never messed with the static cling stuff.

But this stuff works great for making magnetic numbers on the quick and cheap - http://www.lowes.com/pd_73204-1410-M...%3Dmagnetic%2B

Someone on the board here made non-magnetic 1 time use easily removable numbers for several guys once for a TDR sponsored event at MSR 3 or 4 years ago. I think Magma and Nexus Flus both used them. You might send them a PM and see if they remember what the cost was and who made them.

Driver

Jeremy Foley uses the stick ons. You might PM him (ratt finkel).

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Never messed with the static cling stuff.

But this stuff works great for making magnetic numbers on the quick and cheap - http://www.lowes.com/pd_73204-1410-M...%3Dmagnetic%2B
    Those hardly work. The magnet isn't strong enough to stay stuck at any speed. I lost numbers made from them at autocross speeds. They were new, the temp was hot and they were contoured to my car - best case scenario - and they still fell off.

If you need EMERGENCY numbers, I'd recommend shelf paper. It comes in a few different colors and doesn't stick as much as vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    Those hardly work. The magnet isn't strong enough to stay stuck at any speed. I lost numbers made from them at autocross speeds. They were new, the temp was hot and they were contoured to my car - best case scenario - and they still fell off.
    Really I've got a set of numbers I've used for years. Even used them at MSR. Must have changed the material.....

OK... Here is the thread from when several guys got one time use numbers for the TDR event:

http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...Racing-Numbers

It looks like I'm going with vinyl, this car sees speeds that I doubt any magnet will permit.

So, any information on the material used at Miatas at Hallett 2010? No one from that club will return my email.

Contact Sean Grubb at IZoom Graphics He can do magnetic, static, or peel-n-stick vinyl, your choice.

FWIW, I have a set of his magnetic numbers which survived ~130 mph terminal speed down the front straight at TWS several times.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks, I may give his reusable vinyl a shot.

another option:

IMG_00571 by Sixace, on Flickr

above photo stolen from modernbeat..

Last year I used magnetic (+1 for Sean at iZoom), static and "reuseable" peel and stick vinyl. Static and re-useable were a waste of money. I finally settled on a large magnetic panel (Firestorm Graphics), and ran a strip of tape down the leading edge. Then just go to any sign shop to have the peel and stick stuff for fr/rr. Local guy up here does mine for $20, but they are 1 time use (unless ya want to drive around with em on).

DSC_0279 by Sixace, on Flickr

D- 072 by Sixace, on Flickr

TxMCSixAce04-25-10 by Sixace, on Flickr

Sixace,
    Are those 10" numbers on the side? I hope not, that's huge!

yes, and that's the same response I get from the ladies. Wait, you talking about the numbers?

The end result doesn't look too bad:

I'm not exactly thrilled about driving on the street looking like that once or twice per month, but whatever.

Jim Harris has reusable numbers for his Corvette. Don't recall who made 'em, but you can PM him.

+1 for iZoom -- Sean made my magnetic ones and I'm very happy with them.

Nice pixs. Who shot them? Any of my heap?
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I haven't seen any yet but when I find James Leisure I'll ask.

Car looks great Trey.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    You have to get a helmet that's less funny, lol. I HATE getting beaten by a "lord helmet".

Tried both magnetic and stick on from izoom, the stick on ones were crap after 1 event. They get dirty really fast and lose the stick. The magnetics were pretty good.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car