Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Roll Bar

used ones pop-up once in a while. i got mine from houston hdhchtdd ... just keep checking local forums & ready to buy
    - luis
    '99 NB1

If you're concerned with head clearance, give the Ace a look - I went with the ACE AC2D-H (doesn't work with glass rear window with the -H option, but provides better geometry for shoulder harnesses) and added door bars. From a stiffness perspective I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference. The Ace model moves the down legs of the front tubes and ties in to the b-pillar with a tab and everything else clamps to the tub in the tunnels next to the fuel tank. The forward most part of the whole assembly is several inches behind the back of the seats, and it doesn't extend as far as the door jamb so there's nothing for a flailing head to make contact with. The Ace bar carries the same certs for NASA and SCCA provided it has the diagonals.

The pic on the bottom right is the one I have in my 90. http://www.bethania-garage.com/ace.htm

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by luis View Post
    used ones pop-up once in a while. i got mine from houston hdhchtdd ... just keep checking local forums & ready to buy
    I saw this ad on CL and the guy told me someone had reserved the bar two minutes before I emailed him. :P Oh well. My bar from TDR came in yesterday. Made the trip out there to get it even with all the ice on the ground. Too bad they called me in for work today.

off-topic: i just snagged a 55mm koyo rad from the same guy
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    ^ Is the 90 the white car with red stripes? I've sat in it but I don't remember how well I fit. I think I remember the bar brushing my head, but that was with a non-foamectomied seats though... I might be able to pull it off. I am definitely more interested in the taller bar, just figuring out how I can make myself fit it...

Yea i'll hit you up after we thaw out and take you up on your offer! Thanks Jux.
    Yup, white w/ stripes. I've got a 14mm socket we can use to swap your seat in, no problemo.
    The '90 mostly lives in the garage for the time being, so I'd love a little advance notice if you want to do this at work or something. Just shoot a PM my way a couple of days beforehand.

...and I still haven't freshened up the seatbelt buttons like we discussed last time.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Ok so very much thanks to Steve, we switched my seat in his car and I actually fit under the bar...with about .5 inch to spare, yikes. I really think I can get some better clearance out of my seat though.

Still it's a $500 gamble either way...do I smack the bar above my head on a highway bump, or smack the bar behind my head in a rear ender. Either way is going to suck so i'm going to invest in some decent padding, but looks like those are my choices.

Does anyone have an HD bar that isn't busy this weekend? I'll be at my house doing a brake job in the Element tomorrow, then ripping foam out of the seat Sunday, so if someone's in the area, it wouldn't take 10 minutes to swap my seat in your car to test it.

I already talked to Gary@TDR and I'm planning on ordering this weekend or monday, so I'd be much ablidged and have a beer with you or something...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Are you testing with and without your helmet on?

No helmet, just bare noggin. I sold my autocross helmet last year. Obviously i'm going to need a sparco bolted to the floor if I have any hope of passing the broomstick test.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I have one.

So last night I made the mother of all foamectomies. Keep in mind I had already done a decent foamectomy on this seat, this is extra foam.

At some places the foam is less than 1/2in. There is no way to get anymore clearance out of this seat. Good news is the back of my head now has some seat behind it, and I can see the gauges now I think I might be alright for the HDHT bar, still need to make sure though.

Sitting, you definately feel the ass pan, but I sat in it for 2 hours watching a movie and it was comfortable as ever. Trimmed most from the underside so I still didn't leave it wrinkly. I pulled the cover a little tighter to account for the trimmed bolsters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12