Thread: Need pedal extenders installed. Know anyone in DFW who does this?

Default Need pedal extenders installed. Know anyone in DFW who does this?

I am a petite woman. I don't have any disabilties. I'm just short. I normally don't have a problem driving any car (small or large). Recently, I was looking in buying a Mazda Miata MX-5 2010. If I move the seat all the way, I can reach the clutch but have to stretch to push it all the way in. I would like to feel more comfortable driving and sit further from the steering wheel.

Do you know what shops in DFW would install pedal extenders? I'm interested in a integrated sporty look.

How much would it cost to do it?
    Is it legal to add this modifcation to my car?
    Will it pass inspection?

Please let me know ASAP as I am needing to confirm my buy soon. Thanks!

My first thougt was "Shortround", but then I thought better...

Here ya go, try this on for size. http://www.drive-master.com/pedals.htm

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check with Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com (west side) or Gary at www.trackdogracing.com (east side)

I'm interested in a integrated look. The car that I want to buy already has the metal/chrome look to the pedals. I was wondering if there are people here in DFW who has the extenders or do custom work.

Quote Originally Posted by llt View Post
    I was wondering if there are people here in DFW who do custom work.
    In that case, I defer to Sammm...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Check with Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com (west side) or Gary at www.trackdogracing.com (east side)

There is a place in Euless that specializes in Handicapped vehicles.

The lady who owns the place is a long time Miata owner. I'm sure they can come up with something for you that has been tested rather than some one off solution.

http://www.accessiblevanss.com/handi...-equipment.php

Also have you checked with an upholstery shop to see if the drivers seat can be moved forward on the tracks??

I wouldn't move the seat forward any more than you have to. In an accident being right on top of the steering wheel isn't the best place to be. Better to have the pedal extender and be a little bit back from the steering wheel.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Yes. I would rather sit further away from the steering wheel. I normally do in other cars. I would think there are a few custom car shops for sporty cars (kinda like pimp-my-ride who would build custom stuff)

I would think there are a few custom car shops for sporty cars (kinda like pimp-my-ride who would build custom stuff)
    For the vertically challenged??

Now open in Plano! Hervé Villechaize's Pimp My Ride!

How much of an extension do you think you need??

A couple of inches maybe 2-5 inches. I haven't really measured. But, I just have to stretch to push the clutch all the way in with the seat all the way up. I want to stay away from the steering wheel as far as possible.

If no pedal extension...Is there a way to adjust the current pedal to closer ???

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A quick Google search came up with this - http://www.pedalextenders.com/mazda.html

I don't think you'd want to heat up and try to bend the OEM pedals. It would fatigue the metal.

Do you only have a problem with the clutch pedal? If so there may be an option to adjust it so you don't have to depress it all the way. Can someone with an NC confirm how far off the floor the clutch engages?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

yes mainly the clutch is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    There is a place in Euless that specializes in Handicapped vehicles.

The lady who owns the place is a long time Miata owner. I'm sure they can come up with something for you that has been tested rather than some one off solution.

http://www.accessiblevanss.com/handi...-equipment.php

Also have you checked with an upholstery shop to see if the drivers seat can be moved forward on the tracks??
    I don't believe that is the correct link to the shop in Euless. It is Lift Aids, Inc at 1500 Westpark Way. The lady that owns it is Connie Stauffer and she has over thirty years expereince in the business. It is amazing the technology they now have. Pedal extents won't be a problem.

Oh yeah, she just happens to still have my last name..........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Opps thanks Merv here is the correct link - http://www.lift-aids.com/

MadMerv: I tried contacting Lift Aids through there contact us form. I haven't heard back from them. Maybe they are out of business.

MadMerv: I tried contacting Lift Aids through there contact us form. I haven't heard back from them. Maybe they are out of business.
    Nope they are still in business I drove by Lift Aids this afternoon. Lots of cars and activity. My office is in the same part of Euless.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Did you try this form of communication?

CALL US TODAY 800-351-LIFT[5438] SERVING THE DALLAS/FORT WORTH METROPLEX & NORTH TEXAS

"HELPING PEOPLE HELP THEMSLEVES SINCE 1968"
    Some people are more comfortable talking on the phone than answering emails.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region