Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dallas National Street Tire Challenge, 6/4/11, Mineral Wells

That course was not the work of Jimmy Jan no way he would create something so evil.....

That was and shall for ever be known as the "Milwaukee Beast".

All in all it was a fun day!

I averaged 35mph.

Last edited by ken o; 06-05-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    M3 is always the answer.

Today's course should be much better. There were several reasons why the course was as it was, one of them being some bad ideas on my part.

I'm looking forward to the pictures. I'd like to apologise to the corner 3 workers for my wrong turn in the morning, wasn't looking far enough ahead. I liked the course mainly because i needed slalom practice and it showed me that I may need to soften up the rear suspension some more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2zzmr2 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the pictures. I'd like to apologise to the corner 3 workers for my wrong turn in the morning, wasn't looking far enough ahead. I liked the course mainly because i needed slalom practice and it showed me that I may need to soften up the rear suspension some more.
    Actually you turned in front of me at my corner, you were heading straight to Ken O on course. All worked out fine, not even a red flag. I was wondering where you were going?

You would have liked today's course, much faster, third gear for me.

Links to results from the NSTC:

Final Results - http://autocross.com/tr/2011_nstc_tx_final.htm

PAX Results - http://autocross.com/tr/2011_nstc_tx_pax.htm
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

I just wanted to take a moment to give a really big thank you to Brad, Jerrett, and all of the great Texas Region folks. Without your help this event would never have been possible. I thought the event went pretty well, despite a couple of decision making screw-ups on my part, which due to great attitudes of all involved were settled amicably. I can promise that as we run a few more of these, there will be fewer issues. I also would like to take some of the heat for the "Milwaukee Beast" course. Given the format of the event I was concerned the course provide an equal opportunity to the momentum cars and to the power cars. This compromised some of JJ's usual elements, so the next time you see me you can give me an earful. As it turns out, based on the index results, there was a pretty decent balance based on the cars in the top 15 on PAX.

Again, thanks to all involved and all that participated. I hope you agree the event is fun, provides a unique format, offers some decent prizes, and hopefully you will want to attend and the region will want to host another event next year in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by slates View Post
    I also would like to take some of the heat for the "Milwaukee Beast" course. Given the format of the event I was concerned the course provide an equal opportunity to the momentum cars and to the power cars. This compromised some of JJ's usual elements, so the next time you see me you can give me an earful. As it turns out, based on the index results, there was a pretty decent balance based on the cars in the top 15 on PAX.
    Ironically, the opened-up version for Sunday's regional had a good mix at the top of the PAX, as well. Big cars (Mustang, Corvette), little cars (CRX, Civic, Miata), big power, small power, RWD, FWD. Just sayin...

http://autocross.com/tr/2011_3_pax.htm

Average speed doesn't impact the spread. Its the variance in speed which gives advantage to high powered cars. Slow corners, followed by longer sections w/o heavy cornering push the Vettes & Boost buggies to the front. And the more severe the turn, the more it favors AWD to get the power down coming off.

In contrast, narrow sections favor narrow cars (thread the needle stuff) versus big cars. For example, an ST Civic can slalom as fast as a SS Corvette (I have data).

What compounds things at MW is that the clean line gets narrow as the day goes on, and the grip isn't all that great to start with.

--Andy

Big thanks to all the people that worked so hard to put on this event. I really like the concept and hope it grows and comes back next year.

Not blaming Jerrett I know a lot of it was out of his control, but the course was not very fun. To tight, no place to catch up if you got behind, no line choice (the correct line was about 4 foot inside of where I was driving all event). I over drove the course the entire event, and needed to slow down to go faster. So part of my perception of a bad course was really just my bad driving. When I drive bad it's ALWAYS because of a bad course design, and not MY driving

I do know how hard it is to do a good course, not too easy, not too hard, but just right. Jerrett gets them just right most of the time! I do feel lucky that we have such good course at most of the local events. Greg does really good course also.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456