Thread: DDMWorks Stage 2 intake - STR legal?

Default DDMWorks Stage 2 intake - STR legal?

i went and posted this on the pointy board. I wanted to get the impressions of the people I actually compete with.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...68#post5047368

The question is whether the DDMWorks Stage 2 intake for the NB is STR legal:
    http://www.ddmworks.com/miata/engine..._2_intake.html

The main question is whether a the plastic baffle (called "BAFFLE, AIR INTAKE" by Mazda) next to the P/S reservoir can be removed under the air intake system allowance.

On most, but not all, 1999's there are relays attached to the panel. Those relays are part of the optional a/c package and should be removable under the partial a/c removal rule.

It is my understanding that any oem air intake parts upstream of the TB can be removed or changed, essentially. The problem with the NC is the routing is impeded by a plastic "splash shield", which is not identified by Mazda as an intake part, so no=changey. The baffle, air intake sounds like an official intake part, so ought to be fair game.

Id send a letter to the rules committee and ask for a ruling.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    iOn most, but not all, 1999's there are relays attached to the panel. Those relays are part of the optional a/c package and should be removable under the partial a/c removal rule.
    I have to ask. What 'partial' AC removal rule? My last reading was that with optional AC you had to remove the entire package. Was there a change?

StocK Category Clarifications p.263

Stock class cars with optional air conditioning are allowed to compete
    without the belt in place. Additionally, the entire air conditioning system
    may be removed, but any related components (springs, radiator,
    etc.) that are part of an air conditioning package must be returned
    to standard parts for the standard model (non-air conditioned). Removal
    of part of the air conditioning system is allowed only if no other
    components for the car differ between model’s equipped with and
    without air conditioning, i.e., springs, radiator, etc.

Air conditioning may be added to any car as a “comfort and convenience”
    item, provided it serves no other purpose and other components
    are not added or deleted unless otherwise authorized by the
    current Solo Rules. If a factory option, may be removed and backdated
    as an assembly or separate components of the system may be
    removed (i.e., individual under-hood components only).

Much appreciated. Certainly has changed. Guess I should read the rulebook every few years. This is the interesting twist in that rule: Removal
    of part of the air conditioning system is allowed only if no other components for the car differ between model’s equipped with and without air conditioning, i.e., springs, radiator, etc.
    On a first gen car you get into different brackets and belts, plugs, plates, and IRRC a panel under the dash. But its been about 8 years since the build. Also note that you can remove but there does not appear to be an allowance for relocating components, such as referenced relays.

"Also note that you can remove but there does not appear to be an allowance for relocating components, such as referenced relays."

Yeah. In order to comply one would run the relays relocated and then pull them for competition. It would take <5min.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

can make you a way better intake for way less money. that's on way overpriced intake.

Sean - here is something from one of the CA NB-STR guys:
    Not wanting to get protested, I installed the air intake baffle in the stock location behind the driver side headlight. Some will argue that this baffle needs to stay to be legal because it serves two purposes- one being a place to locate the AC and fog light relays. Without air conditioning or fog lights on my Sport model Miata, the relays that mount to this panel are absent, but the electrical connectors remain. Not a big deal until I decide to alter the intake with a custom cold air box.

Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

When you start a discussion like this it's always a good idea to quote the rules in question:
    14.10.C. The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor, compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting. Emissions or engine management components in the air intake system, such as a PCV valve, or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed, modified, or replaced, and must retain their original function along the flow path.
    In my opinion Mazda's specific name for the part is pretty irrelevant. If the baffle you want to remove is truly a part of the original intake system then it is fair game to remove. Does the shield attach to the stock intake? I am not familiar with the parts in question on the NB or NC.

A strong recommendation I would give you is to ask Tommy Saunders or Mark Sipe in person where you can show them the parts in question. Both have a lot of experience as protest cheifs. Their opinion is far better that the pointy board.

Assuming for a moment that the NB sheild pictured is ok to remove lets talk about the relays. Almost all ST* cars have hoses, connectors, or wire loom(s) that are routed on top of, under, or alongside the factory intake. Although the rules don't specifically specify that you can relocate these in my opinion this clearly falls under common sense (assuming no other inherent and tangible performance advantage from the relocation). Just as the rules don't specifically specify you can use anything other than the recommended tire pressure in stock class, it's common sense. In the past there have been protests over things like this ("weenie protests"), usually the offending car is ruled illegal, but no penalty is issued, and then the rules are clarified. In fact there 2 sections of the rulebook that deal with this:

8.0 While the right to protest in proper cases is undoubted, it should be remembered that Solo® events are sporting events, to be conducted in a sporting spirit; that all events are organized and managed by amateurs who cheerfully give their time and do their best, that the competitor may expect some imperfections of the organizers and of his fellow competitors; and that, to a reasonable extent, these things are part of the chances he takes in entering the competition.
    APPENDIX F.0 The rules are constantly evolving as the pressures of competition induce competitors to exploit each and every facet of the rules. Such competitors may discover and act in good faith on an entirely new interpretation that the SEB feels compelled to pronounce compliant according to the letter of the rules but in fact circumvents the rulesmakers’ original intent and may result in a long-term disservice to the majority of competitors if allowed to stand. In these cases the SEB will revise the rule but only after going through the required rules change process. Therefore it is always in the competitor’s best interest to obtain a clarification before investing large amounts of time, money and effort in an interpretation which may be shortlived. Such rulings will be accompanied by the appropriate caveats that the SEB is considering such a change.

In the extreme, some competitors feel the need to base their efforts largely on clever re-interpretations of rules rather than driving prowess or engineering skill based on common principles offered in good faith by the SEB and accepted by the majority at face value. Such efforts are constantly challenging the SEB and those who pursue this route must accept the risks they take when they exploit loopholes that clearly are not in the best interest of the membership at large. In such cases, the interests of the majority must ultimately hold sway over “fairness” to the individual.

I actually installed the DDM a week ago.

After taiking to all of the NB drivers I am likely to compete against--with none of them opposed to the intake--I decided I'd just buy the DDM and let someone protest me if they want. Having had runs dsq'ed at the pro for bs, I just don't care that much about a protest where I think I'm in the right.