Thread: Straight Talk wireless service

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question Straight Talk wireless service

http://www.straighttalk.com/

Anyone have any experience with these folks? They use the AT&T/T-Mobile network. It's supposedly $45 a month for unlimited everything. No contracts.

I checked it out, but was surprised at the various startup costs, then the add-on of data if you use it. It costs $120 to get two basic phones with sims, activation, etc. Their phone selection sucks, but I suspect you can use any gsm phone you want. I did like the fact that the data was prepay for a big chunk, not a monthly fee.

Also, I've heard that you cannot have two phones with different area codes on the same plan, FYI. Amy and I have 214 and a 469, respectively.

edit: never mind - I'm thinking about Walmart Family Wireless.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Polished Turd Racing

I've not used them. I'm on MetroPCS with unlimited talk and text with no contracts for 40 a month with taxes, fees included.

If you are looking at just a basic plan, $30 from Virgin will get you 1500 minutes with 500 texts and 10mb of Data.
    But I would say that Metro PCS would be the better deal out there. They also have 4g android handsets available if you want to keep up with the Jones's.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Wow...thanks. I found this in their fine print.

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

Thanks guys...I'll check out MetroPCS next.
    Last edited by sammm; 03-30-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Don't you already get a cell phone for work??

I am trying them out for the first time this month. I bought their Nokia E71 ($99) and the $45 unlimited plan. I took out the SIM and put it in various phones (iphone, iphone3gs, g1), and everything been working fine.

Email, web surfing, facebook all works great, have not tried much teething. The best thing about this is it's on ATT network, so you get 3G with iphones.

An alternative to Straight talk would be mysimplemoible. I have used them for the past 6 months, $60 all you can eat everything a month. It's on Tmobile network.

Hope this helps.

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Don't you already get a cell phone for work??
    For the wife. Tired of AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post
    I am trying them out for the first time this month. I bought their Nokia E71 ($99) and the $45 unlimited plan. I took out the SIM and put it in various phones (iphone, iphone3gs, g1), and everything been working fine.

Email, web surfing, facebook all works great, have not tried much teething. The best thing about this is it's on ATT network, so you get 3G with iphones.

An alternative to Straight talk would be mysimplemoible. I have used them for the past 6 months, $60 all you can eat everything a month. It's on Tmobile network.

Hope this helps.

Alan
    Thanks Alan! Keep me posted! So you have to buy one of their phones and get a new number, or you just chose to do it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post

Thanks Alan! Keep me posted! So you have to buy one of their phones and get a new number, or you just chose to do it that way?
    Apparently different straight talk phones use different carriers, some GSM some CDMA. I picked the E71 because it's confirmed on the net it's ATT GSM, since I am planning to use the SIM in ATT band frequency devices. For their GSM phones, the SIM is tied to the phone, so you may not sell the phone and have to keep it the duration you use the service.

I believe you can get a new number or port your existing one over. Since I use Google Voice, it doesn't matter what my real number is.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

alan, I'm considering the same thing. Did you have to jailbreak yours to get MMS? Also, be aware that i've heard you can get flagged and have your data locked-out if you go over 5GB in data in a month.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mike, I am still using the original iphone with a custom rom and MMS does work on mine.

I believe on the iphone4, you do have to jailbreak to get MMS to work. All the info can be found here.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...o-make-it-work!
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

I have a plan from TMobile called "Even More Plus". We have the family plan version and get Unlimited calls, texts, emails, and data (including wifi hotspot from the phone) for 2 phones for $139/mo (plus taxes). There is no contract, but they do not subsidize phone costs. A similar plan through ATT would have ran me an additional $100/mo and required a 2 year contract. I like the Ideal of $2400 saved over the life of the contract... It seems to me to be a much better deal than getting a few hundred off each phone. I have been very happy with it.