Thread: Mobile One 15K Extended oil

Default Mobile One 15K Extended oil

WOW! I just saw this stuff at Walmart. About $7 more than the regular synthethic in th 5 quart size. Full Synthetic with an expected lifespan of at least 15K. Once a year oil change, something to consider.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...rformance.aspx
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Default Re: Mobile One 15K Extended oil

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    something to consider
    I wouldn't consider it.

Nothing like frequent oil changes to keep a motor healthy. Oil just gets dirty overtime.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    something to consider
    I wouldn't consider it.

Nothing like frequent oil changes to keep a motor healthy. Oil just gets dirty overtime.
    And even though the FAQs say not to worry, I would worry about the filter.

Mine gets changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles rain or shine.

It's just cheap insurance for your motor.

Oh, and I use dino oil.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

WOW! I just saw this stuff at Walmart. About $7 more than the regular synthethic in th 5 quart size. Full Synthetic with an expected lifespan of at least 15K. Once a year oil change, something to consider.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...rformance.aspx
    If you don't like changing your oil...just don't drive as much

j/k I have seen all of these "long life" and "high-mileage" oils and I am not impressed. I have pulled a ford 302 apart where the previous owner had used something like that, slick 50, and etc. and it was very crudded up in the valve cover. I know its not terminal to be cruddy in the valve cover, but if it looks like that in there what does it do for the motor.

Also, having a turbo car would push me farther away from "special oil".

Just my $00.02.

Even if the oil can go 15,000 miles, the filter will be toast long before that.

Oil is cheap. Fresh fluids are good for the motor, and changing your oil & filter regularly is cheap insurance. I change the oil in the Miata every 3k-4k miles, flush the brakes every 6 months, and change the rest of the fluids once a year.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

While I do change the oil in my Miatas at 3,000, my OTM follows the strict standards set forth by the Ford Motor Company and I change the oil on it every 7,500 miles.

I tend to follow the manufactures recommendations more that I follow the recommendations of the oil companies. The more often you change the oil the more oil you will need to buy, I wonder who came up with that idea?

Technology has a way breaking through barriers. Look at 250K mile spark plugs as an example.

If the information came from anyon else than Mobil I might be more sceptical. I have been using Mobil one for years in my regular cars and race cars. It is, in my mind, the best oil out there for vehicles.

I think we need to look at the data produced by chemical engineers and solid automotive testing and see if it makes sense.

There are a number of things that can go wrong during oil changes. Double gaskets, drain plus overtightened, accidently forgeting to add oil, blah blah blah. I know that careful mechanical work minimizes the risk, but if you have done enough oil changes - you will screw the pooch eventually. Reduce the number of opportunities for failure will reduce your failures.

All I'm saying is let's look at the data. I'm sure somebody is going to test this out.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

For comparison purposes AMSOIL now has a 25K and 35K mile oil.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I wonder they continue selling the regular M1? This may be just a marketing "thing"! Just a rebadge of the old M1 and sell for a lot more. "Old wine in new bottle" and screw everyone for more $$!
    Gabriel

Regular M1 is still for sale. M1XL goes for $1 more per quart.

S.

Does it use a "time release" additive package? It made me think way back to the old Contac-C commercial.

You know those old commercials where they used to show motors running in a warehouse with time lapse photographs? all the other engines would seize up and the one with Slick 50 would continue running bone dry?

This happened to me once in a Firebird, I had been using the Slick 50 and all the oil mysteriously disapeared through a broken gasket, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere so I tried to find the nearest gas station to buy some oil.
    The Slick 50 saved my engine and it was bone dry....before you guys give me any flak, I was only around 17 years old and stupid but my point is the stuff really worked.
    I am planning on using the Mobil 1 next oil change this month, that or just go Redline all the way around.

Hope everyone has a great week, and a better weekend

I always change mine every 3k, because fluids are cheap so why not give your engine a treat? Besides your engine is going to burn a little bit of oil and you will keep having to add oil to it so you might as well change it. Also the oil may or may not last 15k but the oil filter def wont last that long....at least I would never wanna subject my engine to that kind of abuse, esp since I drive it pretty hard. Which raises another question, what kind of effects does the oil have if used in a engine that is driven above normal operating proceder?

As for the oil that claims 25-35k thats just ridic...

Here is an article on the subject.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)