Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Miata: Build Thread

Chassis Designer

Default Project Miata: Build Thread

So out at the meet tonight i realized that i hadn't post a build thread over here yet. Well here it is.

So I've finally got our new site up and running, so I have a place to post all the pics I've been taking of the build up on Project Miata. So far I'm making good progress. Here's a bit of an introduction to the first project for Car Care 101.

http://www.carcare101.info/project-m...odern-classic/

She's a 1991 Mazda Miata sporting no options other that power steering and a/c. Still rocking the original 1.6L motor with 200K miles. The motor, trans, and body are solid. The rest of the car... not so much.

When we picked up Project Miata it was doing duty as the quintessential girls car ferrying a high school cheerleader to and from school. her daddy was tired of fixing the car every time she broke it so we got it for a cheep $2100.

Added bonus was that it came with the hard dog duce bar I was planning on buying anyway.

Penalty points for having one hell of an obnoxious exhaust

Even more penalty points for the heavy as hades 17x7 enkie rse's it came with (note these were already changed out to 15x7 oz superleggera's before the pics were taken)

So that's the car in a nutshell. Stay tuned for some very through step by step guides for everything we are doing to the car. First up will be new brakes.

Here's a few pics for those of you too lazy to click the link

if you want to see more or bigger photos check out the link at the top of the post.

so far i've dropped in an 8lbs aluminum flywheel (not so good for boost from what i hear), 6 puck clutch, complete refreshed the stock brakes with new rotors, hp+ pads, ss brake lines, and motul brake fluid.

next major mods are complete suspension upgrade. springs shocks, bushings, everything. followed by a head light upgrade. then i'll be diving in to the interior.

so let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance,

charlie
    Last edited by offsprg01; 06-01-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Nice meeting you tonight Charlie. Best of luck with the new website and build.

Link is 404.

Chassis Designer

there fixed it. good meeting you too.

I love my light flywheel on my boosted 1.6 - I'm still thinking about getting an even lighter one next time I'm in there (I have the old school FM Fidanza that they added weight to, so it's ~9lbs). I've had lightweight flywheels on every single boosted car I've had (5 to date) and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And good luck on the build - car looks clean in the few pics you posted here.

Good to see you again Charlie... I'm following you guys on the Twitter now (as the kids say), so maybe I can catch the live show on Friday.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Chassis Designer

hey rick thanks for the follow. forgot add this in the original post

first thing we did to the car (besides changing all the sensors that had gone out over the years) was to get start a complete brake overhaul by prepping a new set of oem rotors with a couple of coats of dupli - color ceramic caliper paint on the rotor hats and edges to help prevent rust. because there's nothing worse than looking behind a shiny new set of wheels and seeing rusty worn out brakes.

you guys can see the step by step in the link below

http://www.carcare101.info/project-m...-brake-rotors/

Charlie, Just watched my first episode of Burnout Radio.

I'm a fan! I subscribed to your podcast (It only goes up to Episode 95 on iTunes though)

I will also check out carcare101. Maybe I can be a Guest Tech.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I'll take the seats and dash when you "dig into the interior".

Exatorq is supposed to be hot shit for LSx tuning.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I'll take the seats and dash when you "dig into the interior".
    I don't think you want them unless you like your parts extra crispy.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I don't think you want them unless you like your parts extra crispy.
    What? Was it consumed by fire?

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    What? Was it consumed by fire?

Linkie...
    ...and across the line.

Chassis Designer

yes project miata went up in a ball of fire. we'll have the full story with pics on monday. our followers have started the "save project miata" foundation of which we've already received several cash donation and many more have pledged to help out with parts, time, tools, ectera. A couple of them are already scouting out replacement cars.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by offsprg01 View Post
    yes project miata went up in a ball of fire. we'll have the full story with pics on monday. our followers have started the "save project miata" foundation of which we've already received several cash donation and many more have pledged to help out with parts, time, tools, ectera. A couple of them are already scouting out replacement cars.
    just buy an NB and forget that NA.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    just buy an NB and forget that NA.
    Don't be biased.. HA! We could easily suggest he just go for Pedigree. :)
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Chassis Designer

nb's have one problem... the lack of pop up heads lights. everyone know pop up head lights are worth +1,000,000 horsepower.

Or at least nostalgia points. Why is it most NB owners don't see this? NB's may be a better platform but those damn ugly headlights... Ugh. The 01-05 are a bit better looking but then you have the VVT bullshit.
    ...and across the line.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

NB are stiffer and work better with the V8 swap, 01+ are the best chassis before the NC redesign but 99 are cheaper and almost as good but still better then NAs. VVT is not a bad thing, it only sucks when your trying to run piggy back ecu. when using a real ecu with vvt control you can do very sexy things with it.

Chassis Designer

vvt is awesome, and no arguing the nb is a better chasis, but i love the na. it quirky and kind of odd, but i dig it. it's also got the add value of being dirt cheep, which leaves me with more cash to spend on parts. a little seam welding, and some after market bracing will make the na plenty stiff for the v8 swap.

Chassis Designer

well here's the story i promised you guys on my car catching fire. blow by blow, complete with pics. http://bit.ly/kkrDcr

Wow - sorry to hear! Might be putting a kill switch in mine sooner than later just for this instance. Suxa! Glad to see you're still in the game, and doing it the Steve Austin route... Better, stronger, and faster! Cheers!
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast