Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The countdown begins...

Default The countdown begins...

Well guys, the time has come, I will be married in exactly 10 days, let the countdown begin...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Yay for you!

Most important question: what does she drive?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Most important question: what does she drive?

S.
    him in 10 days!

Congrats man...

Congrats, nine days for me :)
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Just remember... In Texas, after 10 years, she's eligible for alimony.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Just remember... In Texas, after 10 years, she's eligible for alimony.
    These words of wisdom brought to you by Channelmaniac motivational speaker!

BTW Congratulations!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey, seriously though... if I could offer one tidbit of advice... never go to bed angry - finish the argument. It keeps trouble from building & building and helps keep communication going.

And CONGRATS!

RJ

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey, seriously though... if I could offer one tidbit of advice... never go to bed angry - finish the argument.
    Or just don't go to bed!

First of all, Congratulations to you both! Secondly, I can't help but comment on cm's advice:

"... never go to bed angry..."

Yeah, I've heard lots of people say that one... not sure I agree with it. Going to bed before you say/do stuff (1) you don't really mean, (2) you'll regret later, and (3) you'll remember all your life seems like a good idea to me sometimes. You need to finish the conversation/discussion/argument to get resolution, but taking time to cool off -- i.e. sleeping on it -- can take some of the emotion out of it. Heck, in the morning, what was ticking you off so much last night might seem pretty trivial... or stupid.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Congrats to both of you.

My fiance' and I will be tying the knot either this summer or this fall. :)

As for fighting, well, my fiance' and I rarely fight. Twice since we met over a year ago. We tend to talk things out and resolve them with explanation and compromise.

Now my ex... that's a relationship all done wrong...

I guess my advice is this. NEVER hold anything in. Discuss your feelings in a calm way with your partner. Holding things in will only make them stronger and lead to explosive blow ups.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    NEVER hold anything in. Discuss your feelings in a calm way with your partner. Holding things in will only make them stronger and lead to explosive blow ups.
    Unless the "something" you're holding in is "Honey, I just bought $1,389 worth of wheels and tires and they'll be here on Friday."

In that case, better to wait til Friday so you only have to deal with it once.

Other than that, I concur with the advice given. Married six years (been dating her for 12) and "not going to bed angry" has worked like a charm.

S.

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

and "not going to bed angry" has worked like a charm.
    Not to mention keeping away those thoughts she'd likely have of putting a pillow over your head during the night.... (just kidding - I've been married to the same man for almost 17 years and haven't killed him yet).

Congratulations and many happy years together! ....er, I meant
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Congrats Jigger! The key to relationship longevity is to not speak to each other. Ever!

Just kidding. Keep communication open and honest. Don't sweat the small stuff. I'll be celebrating my 18th anniversary this year!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Congrats Jigger! The key to relationship longevity is to not speak to each other. Ever!

Just kidding. Keep communication open and honest. Don't sweat the small stuff. I'll be celebrating my 18th anniversary this year!
    Congrats!!

We're celebrating our fifth this week... or actually, if you add the leap year... technically, this is our 1.25 anniversary!!

Edit- I forgot to add, we were married Feb. 29, 2000... Leap Year day... a Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    After 7 & 1/2 years of marriage, I agree with this one!

Seriously though, remember that all relationships are different. If I took channelmaniac's advice on never going to bed angry, there would be days I'd never sleep. My wife and I are both hotheads (and we're both stubborn as well, although she'll tell you I've got her beat in both categories ), so sometimes the best course of action for us is to go to bed angry, then wake up and laugh about it in the morning.

A wise man I once knew told me that "People who never fight have nothing to be passionate about." That's not saying that you should take the gloves off over every little thing, but realize that fights do happen sometimes. Just make sure to choose your battles wisely.

Of course, I'm still working on that one!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Coming up on 11 years, we have learned that it is OK to go to bed angry. Took us the first 5 years to figure that out.

I seem to remember that the first year or so involved several nights a week where we would fight 'till 2am, I would apologize till 4am, then the make-up sex continued till dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    My wife and I are both hotheads (and we're both stubborn as well, although she'll tell you I've got her beat in both categories )
    Your wife is Korean IIRC, if so that explains alot
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Well that tidbit has worked for us for 14 years now...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Take it from the old man around here...the solution to all marital bliss is one key phrase

"Yes, dear." works like a charm
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Take it from the old man around here...the solution to all marital bliss is one key phrase

"Yes, dear." works like a charm
    Amen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast