Thread: I Can't Stop Staring At This Graph (MSM Parts)

Default I Can't Stop Staring At This Graph (MSM Parts)

Linkie.

That's the before and after graph for the MSM at Flyin' Miata. All they added was:

* FM downpipe
    * FM catback exhaust
    * FM intercooler

That's it. It might be time to start saving $$. I know this would bump me into some hopeless SCCA class, but I don't really care. 26 hp and 38 ft lbs is mighty attractive.

S.

Um, FM is a little aggressive with their Dyno charts. The power curves listed for FM kits have NEVER been duplicated outside by other FM users. The FM Intercooler is a byatch from its conveluded piping. Track dog might have a better IC solution.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

The FM MSM intercooler uses the stock MSM piping, so it may not be the same as their regular I/C. I was not aware that FM's dyno charts are notoriously optimistic. That's good advice. Thanks!

S.

you might want to go read the details to that graph as well...

If I recall correctly, there was also a little detaisl of a *boost controller* added into the equation..

FM website:
    With the FM exhaust on, we turned up the boost as high as we could with the Blitz boost controller (blue lines). While the peak power definitely jumped up, the gains were short-lived as the turbo ran out of steam. The FM shop is at 4700' and the ambient pressure that day was around 86.5 KPa. This meant the turbo was having to produce 2 psi of boost simply to reach sea level. We disconnected the signal line to the wastegate completely and this is the best the turbo could do. Those at sea level will have better results! We are investigating a stronger wastegate actuator in case the problem is the wastegate valve being blown off the seat. It's unlikely the car would have shown these gains with the stock exhaust.

I still quabble with that "as high as it will go" comment.. I don't beleive that for a second. The ECU gives you a boost cut at ~10.8psi and I can hit that with no issue at about 33% duty cycle. IF they can't get past that at 100% duty cycle then they hosed soemthing up...

Note that nowhere in there do they actually say at *what* boost level that was either...

I'll try to make it out to the next dyno day, and we'll see what we can do

Yeah, I e-mailed them about that boost controller. They claim it didn't do squat -- that the HP gains came entirely from the hardware. Never can tell with these kinds of claims, but the red mist of 26 rwhp and 38 rw lb ft has settled over my eyes.

S.

I think they're confusing themselves...

the *stock* boost controller doesn't do much.. It keeps the car maybe a half psi over the wastegate.

As an owner of an aftermarket boost controler, I can in fact assure that they do accomplish something..

Sadly, with teh increased spool from teh DP & boost controller, the stock ECU doesn't give enough fuel early enough.

Dunno. They claim that the boost controller you see in the write-up (the one mounted in the Bose faceplate) didn't help. Results may vary. Eventually someone is going to crack the code on these MSMs, then watch out. When's the next DFW dyno day? I'll bring mine and we can compare results. Mine is bone stock.

S.

PS -- It is entirely possible that FM is confusing themselves. I think they're a good company, but they definitely seem to believe The Hype.

Lemme get teh RPM offset feature on the Profec running and I'd bet we an get close to FM's numbers... (granted still running teh stock IC, so it'll have to be on the 1st run )

here's what they were saying about the *stock* solenoid:
    Just for fun, we disconnected it to see how much difference it was making. Even at high altitude (4700'), it's not doing much. Peak boost was 122 kPa with it plugged in, 117 with it unplugged. That's good for just under 4 hp. At sea level, that solenoid won't be doing much at all.

I know I can see 15psi if I reguired it to... (don't ask..)

BTW- what part of town are you in... I may run out to Richardson to do another dyno test one Saturday afternoon soon Mini Dyno day!

I'm out by White Rock Lake, so Richardson is a breeze. This Saturday is bad because we're having our garage sale, but I'd be game any of the following weekends. Or this Sunday, if they're open. I can do a before and after and see if my bitchin new drop in K&N does anything!

S.

well this Sat I'll probably be hooking up the RPM setup.. maybe next weekend?

I'm thinkin QuikCar since that's where my baseline was done... But they're not open Sunday anyway...

FYI, I don't think the K&N did anything for me

I need to arrange an intake setup!