Thread: 3D printer

Default 3D printer

M3 is always the answer.

We looked at buying one of those ~3 years ago at work. Ended up with a FDM 3d printer instead. That style looks and sounds great until you really start handling the parts and dealing with the builds.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Very cool.

I'm still waiting for a Holodeck.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Very cool stuff. The last program that I worked on at Texas Instruments back in the late 90's had something very similar to this. They used it to build and test fit prototype parts. IIRC it shot a laser onto the surface of a pool of some kind of wax-like stuff to solidify the object being created.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvzcGdZsTc
    This really sparked my attention when it came out.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

I cannot see the video.

We have an 3D printer were I work. It will make parts with a plastic similar to ABS, or similar to rubber.

From a designer standpoint it's very cool. Almost no limit on what can be made. If I can make a 3D model it can make parts out of it. No worries about being able to machine or mold the parts.

The down side is the cost of the material, for our machine it's around $500/lb. (about the size of 2 bricks) So it's really only good for prototypes and tooling/fixtures, or 1 off custom parts, where you only need a few parts, and cost is not a big factor. (one off machined parts can get $$$$ also)

And No, I will not make you parts, but If you have a 3D cad model, it's easy to find a shop that will. Depending on the shop they can make parts out of hard and soft plastics/rubber like materials. Some can even make metal parts.

Having AutoZone print you out new parts for your car is still a few years off.

Robert do you have an Objet machine? They have a wide range of materials that you can run.

The other issue is accuracy.... Can't hold tight tolerances like machined, molded, etc.

Yes, it's an Objet system.

I make mostly small parts and the accuracy is pretty good if I allow .010 in. clearance between parts they almost always fit the way I want, holes tend to come in around .010in. under size on the diameter. I just have to adjust the models a little for the way it builds parts. I tend to assume +/-.005in tolerance for the parts.

The material section is good, a lot of different hard and soft plastics. The hard plastic works well for tooling and fixtures, but can be a little brittle. The rubber like material is good for prototypes but is too weak for tooling or fixtures. it tends to tear.

Cool. I have never played with one in person, but have had parts made on them over the years. Objet has better tolerances than most, but as you said you have to adjust for process. I ran a toolshop for a few years so it is engrained in my head that .005 tolerance is sloppy.

Yep .005 is sloppy for tooling, but I can get surprisingly good fits, both press and slip fits on the objet.

It is awesome technology.

Lay Leno's review with video - http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...y-old-parts-1/