Thread: 5th gear half dead

Default 5th gear half dead

Interesting troubleshooting data collected on my transmission today and I don't know even about these cars to know what's going on.

While driving home, my 5th gear completely disappeared. I can shift into 1-4, and reverse works fine, and I can put the shifter in the proper location for 5th, but it does not catch anything , does not lock in place, and does not engage the gear.

My initial thought was that the tranny was dead, but I started trouble shooting.

With the car off, I can put it in 5th gear, and it gets rolling resistance confirming the gear is engaged. As soon as I turn the car on, it disappears.

With the car running, I can put the car in reverse, and let the clutch out violently jerking the car into reverse momentum, and then the car will click into 5th while running. I was successful in stalling the engine in 5th without it popping out of gear.

If I do the reverse thing, verify 5th is there, and then do a normal soft slow takeoff from 1-4, by the time I reach 5th, it has disappeared again.

If I'm cruising in 4th, and verify that 5th is dead, but gently rake against reverse while moving forward (grinding the tip of reverse), then I can go into 5th and it will hold it just fine. - this can be done consistently and without fail.

I'm hoping that something can be serviced from the top and I can have the car road ready asap and I just got it back from a month long dyno tune, and am anxious to take it on a group ride this Sunday.

PLEASE HELP!
    01 Turbo MSM Swap - For Sale
    96 4x4 Suburban

new discovery:

I pulled the shifter out to inspect stuff as I saw suggested in similar threads, and there was what appeared to be very watery gear fluid filled up all the way to the brim of the shifter. I drained enough out to where I could see the rod going forward towards the motor, but it had no effect on my issues.
    96 4x4 Suburban

I put my money on a bent shift fork.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I put my money on a bent shift fork.
    I'm trying to get it repaired for a car cruise to oklahoma sunday but its not looking good
    96 4x4 Suburban

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Another vote for a bent shifter fork.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Driver

Deff sounds like shift fork is toast

Ive got a working transmission from a 1997. It leaks from the output shaft seal, a new one is not the answer. The brass bushing is toast. Its yours for 40.00, just swap rear housings.