Thread: Kumho Ecsta AST

Default Kumho Ecsta AST

Does anyone have any experience with these tires? I need a set in 205/45/16 for a set of Konig Villian wheels. The Tire Rack has a set for 340.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I have a set on my daily driver wheels. They aren't quite all-seasons, but they aren't very sticky either.

I'm replacing a set now. Didn't even last $25k miles. I can't recommend them.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I bought a set on sale earlier. At first I did not like them much. The turn in was slow and numb. However, after I pump it up to 32 lbs and after several thousand miles, I come to like it. Given I have the 225/50/15 size. This a big step up from the BS 195/50. It is stickier than the BS. When it does break away, it does so in a progressive manner. It is hard to provoke much noise from it. If you drive by your ears, you may not like it. For the TCB $ I paid, I have to say my money was well spent.
    Gabriel

I tend to run my tire pressures on the high side so 32lbs isn't bad for me. It's about what I run in the back with 35 on the front.

How aggressive do you drive? Did you rotate the tires? 25,000 seems a little low for all season tires.

Have purchased 3 sets. One on a Miata and two on the Proto. Daughter also has a set on her Solara up in Kansas. Only got about 25k on the Miata set but the ones on the Proto went 40K. Is there really anything that is a true all season tire on a Miata? On the Proto they were excellent through Kansas winters and earlier this year when we had that little distraction during Jerry Bowl week I had no problem driving in from Parker County every day. Scared my native Texan wife though..... For the dollar I would buy them again for a daily driver but maybe not a Miata but then my Miatas don't play on wintery roads.
    Steve

I had the Khumo ASX all season tires and their grip sucked in the sun and sucked in the rain. Didn't last that long either.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I've been pleased wtih them before as simply passenger car tires. They didn't do well as performance tires.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

My 01 had them when I bought it. I had 205/50/15 on stock rims, and I liked them.
    Good: cheap, average grip after a couple thousand miles.

Bad: randomly lose grip on wet surfaces, average grip in dry, only lasted me ~20k but I drive crazy,
    I had to pump them up to 40 to keep them from rolling over too much at an autocross.
    Great for drifting in the rain.

If you can, spend a little more and get a lot more grip.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.