Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sean and Iain's excellent (crazy?) adventure

Driver

Ha! Does it show land speed?

You could always follow the historic Route 66 as far as Oklahoma City and then drop down to the metromess... http://www.historic66.com/
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Driver

The "map" at the top of that site is taking some massive liberties with "Map Not Drawn to Scale" lol

I don't believe it shows land speed. It just sends a tracking signal every 15 or 20 minutes. Here's the track from my motorcycle trip.

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...14e052d49d1095
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Iain, this sounds great. I've made the drive to S.F. and then south along the coast and it is fun. lots to look at.

FYI- I've spent the last 4 years travelling to Sac to build their new airport terminal. It's nearly finished- first flight is Oct. 6, so you just missed it.
    http://www.bigbuild.org/photo-media-...-through-video

Have fun on the drive.

Found something fun for Day 2, doesn't add much distance to the trip - Angeles Crest Highway through the Angeles National Forest north of LA. Lots of twisties!

Day 2 planned route. Assuming we survive day 1!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Found something fun for Day 2, doesn't add much distance to the trip - Angeles Crest Highway through the Angeles National Forest north of LA. Lots of twisties!

Day 2 planned route. Assuming we survive day 1!
    Be careful, lots of cops too. Common canyon run road populated by lots of idiots driving crazy and highway patrol waiting for them. On the way to streets of willow racetrack.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Photos, details of the Porsche 930?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Driver

1984 Canadian Spec (still titled in Canada actually) 911 Turbo. 77 Canadian spec were made in 84, ~800 made for the ROW, 0 in the US (emissions).

78k miles, more or less stock other than wheels, some minor brake work and it was painted from white to black in the 90's and the fender vents were added at that time.

These cars made ~300hp/318tq from the factory (~3000# car). Major turbo lag, so you have to figure out how to drive them. At the time, they turned out ~5 second 0-60 which was incredibly fast. It's still fast today. They have 4 speed transmissions with really wide gearing. In 1989 they introduced the 5 speed and apparently it makes the car a lot better to drive. Typical changes to the 4 speed are to change the final output to tighten the spacing on the gears. As well the syncros and stuff are not a modern design so you have to be a bit more careful and purposeful with your gear changes (which I'm sure doesn't help the twitchiness in turns). A shifter update helps smooth out the shifters.

Im jealous.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

If you feel adventurous... US-50 across Nevada into Utah. It will merge with I-70 and then split off again in Grand Junction CO. Stay on US-50 to Montrose, and then get on US-550. That stretch from Montrose to Durango is absolutely gorgeous. I did it in a Freightliner Classic with a 53-foot trailer, so I couldn't quite enjoy the curves, but the scenery was great. Going across Nevada is some serious mountains, though, so you could take I-80 to Salt Lake City and then drop down I-15 to US-6 and take that to Green River UT and catch I-70 there.

Of course, old Route 66 is definitely something I'd want to do as well. I've driven bits and pieces of it, but not the switchbacks through Arizona.

Awe badass car! I'm so damn jealous! and worse my best friend just picked up a 78 911 targa for almost free, does need some restoration though! I hate being a Porschephile and everyone getting cool old Porsches! Guess I'll have to be contempt with my Porsche Riviera blue Miata.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Well, it looks like Saturday is going to be the long haul day. We've decided to take it relatively easy on Friday, backtracking from Sacramento to San Francisco and then down the coast to Laguna Seca where, ironically, there will be a POC event on Friday. We'll stay in Monterey Friday night, then down the PCH through Big Sur to Cambria Saturday morning, before we turn east and head for Barstow, I-40 and - hopefully - all the way to Albuquerque Saturday night.

Looks like we'll be driving past Buttonwillow Raceway sometime Saturday late morning, so we may have to stop there and see what's going on.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

This Thread needs more pictures...

Driver

The one following that one is Iain and me walking down I40

Lol... let us at least get to Cali first, Kenny. We'll be posting plenty of pictures, don't worry!
    Iain

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I thought that pic was from the airplane on the way out...
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Hey, don't forget about Infineon Raceway just north of I-80 and San Fran. on Friday. Theres always something happening there due to all the wine and Ferrari lovers out there...

Looks like the Indy cars will be racing this weekend at Infineon. Its a great track.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Well, it looks like Saturday is going to be the long haul day. We've decided to take it relatively easy on Friday, backtracking from Sacramento to San Francisco and then down the coast to Laguna Seca where, ironically, there will be a POC event on Friday. We'll stay in Monterey Friday night, then down the PCH through Big Sur to Cambria Saturday morning, before we turn east and head for Barstow, I-40 and - hopefully - all the way to Albuquerque Saturday night.

Looks like we'll be driving past Buttonwillow Raceway sometime Saturday late morning, so we may have to stop there and see what's going on.
    Last edited by joe.MIATA; 08-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Thunderhill would be fun to check out too, but it is probably a little too far out of the way (85 miles north of Sacramento Airport).

Sounds like you boys need a week for this trip!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast