Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best shop/mechanic/garage buddy fort worth

Default best shop/mechanic/garage buddy fort worth

i am looking for some help with replacing the rear axle and/or rear right wheel bearing on my 99 miata.

shop recommendations in the fort worth/benbrook area wanted.
    or if you want to help me we can get it done in my garage/driveway, i pay cash :)

Best shop on the Ft. W side of town = Miata Solutions

http://www.miatasolutions.com/

This is probably something you want done at a shop because you need either a press (and a big one at that) or a brave friend, ball hitch, and a sledge-hammer. It's one of if not the biggest pain in the asses on a Miata.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    This is probably something you want done at a shop because you need either a press (and a big one at that) or a brave friend, ball hitch, and a sledge-hammer. It's one of if not the biggest pain in the asses on a Miata.
    fortunately regarding the wheel bearing, it was replaced last year, so it shouldnt be too difficult to get out. not sure how difficult the axle would be though. might just replace the whole rear end if i can pick up a replacement with LSD for a decent price.

Use anti-seize on the splines and they will pull out by hand next time.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

+1 for Miata Solutions.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Trust me it will be. It takes a pretty large hydraulic press to get the damn thing out. If you do it in your drive way take it ot a machine shop with the new bearing and have them press it out. However much they charge....it's worth it.

I did a rear hub bearing on a Focus which is built similar except for not being a driven hub like on the Miata and even with a hydraulic press they were using a lot of force to get it out and get the new on in.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I managed to stall the 30-ton press every time I've done it (4-times). The sledge hammer works every time.

in contact with stevan from miata solutions right now.

Stevan from miata solutions is awesome and very reasonable on the north side, Meadowlake Enteprises/Team MER is good on the south side.
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

If MER is charging $170 for 15-minutes on the dyno I'd hate to see what they charge to swap rear wheel bearings.

Wow that's a good chunk of change.
    Good work though
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

at this point i am thinking i need to replace the rear hub assembly and halfshaft. anyone have a spare lying around they want to offload? i already contacted mazda heaven via email, but they don't respond very quickly. will call them later on.

Just bought the rear assembly from mazda heaven. hope it solves my problem. 125 plus tax.

anyone want to come swap it out with me? i have some nice miata parts that i would gladly give you in exchange for your labor.
    Last edited by FI994k; 09-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.

I'd be willing to help but I'm working till next monday and on that day I'm off to get a bumper from the Dallas area.

Is the car driveable? I live up in Saginaw and could probably lend a hand in my garage. As long as you have a socket that will fit the spindle nut.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I live up in Saginaw and could probably lend a hand in my garage. As long as you have a socket that will fit the spindle nut.
    If he agrees to this, I have a socket that fits that I'd be willing to lend for the project (I'd even help/do it if needed). I'm ~11 miles from the Walmart in Saginaw for distance reference.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I'd be willing to help but I'm working till next monday and on that day I'm off to get a bumper from the Dallas area.

Is the car driveable? I live up in Saginaw and could probably lend a hand in my garage. As long as you have a socket that will fit the spindle nut.
    Car is drivable but I prefer not to go too far. I may pm you my info. What size is the socket?

Its 2 bolts and the half shaft. If you can do brakes then you can do this.
    Make sure the lower bolt is not bent. (common)
    No need to change the half shaft, if that is damaged you have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Its 2 bolts and the half shaft. If you can do brakes then you can do this.
    Make sure the lower bolt is not bent. (common)
    No need to change the half shaft, if that is damaged you have bigger problems.
    Please explain yourself Rogue.
    what sort of problems if the half shaft is bent?

Is the half shaft bent FI994k??

If it bent other stuff is also bent and your going to be spending some additional dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast