Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    You are stalking other people now..... I thought we had something special....
    I get busted way too often.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What was the OP's question again?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Check out a GTI too. They are not as fast but quick and very nice and quiet inside, the interior is nice. You can buy a tune to bring the power close to the MS3, but then you can probably do the same with the MS3 to get it quicker too.

I really am not a fan of FWD and I hate torque steer but I wanted a hatch that would get 30+ mpg hwy, which ruled out the MS3 and WRX. I found when I had my Z4M I could rarely use the 330hp just driving around town. I do believe in the saying, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Probably why the miata is fun too. If someone would make a RWD hatch with 200-300hp I would be all over it.

All are fun cars, just depends what you want of course.
    Last edited by jbh; 10-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbh View Post
    I found when I had my Z4M I could rarely use the 330hp just driving around town. I do believe in the saying, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Probably why the miata is fun too.
    You are missing the chance to become friends with the local police and fund the city.

I've actually found I drive faster cars slower on the street than slower cars... some reverse logic.

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    You are missing the chance to become friends with the local police and fund the city.

I've actually found I drive faster cars slower on the street than slower cars... some reverse logic.
    True, I used to run the miata to the rev limiter all the time and I was still only barely breaking the speed limit. 335, run it through a few gears getting on the highway and you're doing 120 all of a sudden.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

If someone would make a RWD hatch with 200-300hp I would be all over it.

Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

So? Whacha gettin', sammm?

Quote Originally Posted by jbh
    I really am not a fan of FWD and I hate torque steer but I wanted a hatch that would get 30+ mph hwy
    30 mph! Slow down son! What's your hurry?
    Last edited by altiain; 10-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    So? Whacha gettin', sammm?
    Nothing German, thats for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post

Ah, but those are wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Fixed it, damn iPad autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Nothing German, thats for sure!
    That's probably a good idea.

First drive of the 318ti Wed night and the drivers side window came off track and wouldn't go up. Reading on the web, it's a common problem with the 318ti's.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

I had zero issues with my MKV GTI

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    I had zero issues with my MKV GTI
    Is that why you sold it and bought a StooK?

Nah, bought the Stook to learn how to drive a manual transmission, RWD sports car. That and the whole more exciting, fun, faster, classed competitively thing.

Random observation - my parents are in town this week and they have a '11 Mazda3 rental car. It's not the Mazdaspeed, but damn if this car doesn't have one of the cheapest, shitty interiors ive seen in a while. It's like nine different colors and textures of crappy hard plastic, none of which compliment each other.

I've driven several first gen Mazdaspeed3s (and base models as well), and I don't remember them having such a craptastic interior. They're no Lexus, but I was genuinely surprised at how bad the interior is on the new 3.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Late to the game, here. Sorry about that.
    I've admired the Gen 1 Speed3 for quite some time. When a buddy at work bought a new '08 model, he let me drive it around on a lunch break.In stock form, the earlier versions are very fun on the streets and highway. Oddly enough, they are also extremely practical. Both of these things are, I imagine, pretty dang obvious.
    My only issues with the car were a somewhat vague shifter, soft springs, and body roll that I really didn't care for at all. Granted, this is coming from a guy who drives a Miata, so the shifter and suspension stuff is almost a given with lots of typical cars.

Soon after, said friend dropped in a Cobb shifter (sadly now discontinued), a big rear bar, stiffer springs, lighter wheels and better tires. He let me drive it again while on break. What an amazing vehicle! I simply can't test drive one now, as I'll need to have one (and I've been shopping the pricing on them recently...dammit). He's been taking the car out to MSR now & again over the last couple of years and apparently doing pretty well.

With just a couple of aftermarket tweaks, these cars are real gems. Even in stock form, hey, they can be wonderful.

I have no comments on the interior, really. It's fine by me. I'm not used to really nice interiors, so unless I'm in a Caddy or something, I really don't notice. The 3 in general suits all of my needs. Give it 250+ ponies at the wheels, and I'm totally sold. The gf has a 1st gen base 3 sedan, and it's a wonderful commuter. The seats are even pretty comfy.

If you're looking for a white version of the Gen 1 ilk (just like me) as I hear, CarMax has a few nationally. One is fairly low miles, coming in at about 24k. Pricing is right around $18k for that example...plus a small transfer fee to get it here from Kansas or something.

You're keeping the truck, though, right?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

So what did ya get Sammmmmmmm?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So what did ya get Sammmmmmmm?
    I got this sweet '95M! (I'm still looking, but my current ride isn't that horrible for a 15 mile commute and it's paid for)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast