Thread: Miata on TWS trying to keep pace with a 430.

Default Miata on TWS trying to keep pace with a 430.

OOHH! Damn! Video was not long enough.

Was great driving and I think you would've passed him sooner if all those damn slow Nissans weren't in your way.
    Real cheesey of him to dive bomb that car at 6:13 just to try to get away from you. I think I'm gonna link this one on my FB page. Damn fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to this.

Thanks was great fun for sure.

Mark

Aero is a wonderful thing at TWS for sure.

That's hot. Very hot.

That car looks incredible, and thanks for the video - it was a lot of fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Real cheesey of him to dive bomb that car at 6:13 just to try to get away from you.
    Seriously, what was he thinking It's in the distance and kind of hard to see, but I doubt it was coincidence that the car he cut in front of spun as soon as he was past..

The Miata driver was a fellow instructor, Dennis. I believe he had to hit the brakes hard to avoid the 430 hence why he snapped loose and put a wheel off causing the spin. Everyone was OK and both drivers parted on good terms. If the Miata had spun in front of the camera car then that would of been a different story.

Mark

I heard someone ran a 1:23 in that car at HHR...which is scary as hell. I know there's another 1-2 seconds in my car there, but not 5. What tire are you running?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by Perryrace View Post
    The Miata driver was a fellow instructor, Dennis. I believe he had to hit the brakes hard to avoid the 430 hence why he snapped loose and put a wheel off causing the spin. Everyone was OK and both drivers parted on good terms. If the Miata had spun in front of the camera car then that would of been a different story.

Mark
    Mark, nice vid, thanks for sharing it. Not sure what you mean by the last sentence above? Camera car being the V8 miata? Why would it have been a different story?

Also, who put on this event (passing anywhere w/point)? Seemed a bit crowded for such rules (usually the fastest group has the least cars in DE's). Wish the car had on screen data. Any ideas on the V8 miata's top speed on the straights? The prancing pony really took off on that straight before the incident, guessing he was at least 150 (if not more!)

Sorry for all the q's. Thank again.

edit: having re-read, I think you may have meant if the miata had spun in front of the 430, it would have been ugly..and I agree.

What did I mean by "Different story"? The video car (our car) could have been in a T-bone with the red miata if the car had spun across track in front of us. vs. the driver forcing the car off track to avoid other cars coming into turn 1-2.

There is data on the car and in the video. Bottom center of the dash (above gear lever) you can see real time speed and lap time. Entering turn one is in the 130 mph range, as the timer/ speed display is set to show lap time for 5 second at the start finish line, top speed on the straight is not displayed. Best guess is in the mid 140's. lap time displayed during the video is in the 1:53 range.

Hope this helps. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I heard someone ran a 1:23 in that car at HHR...which is scary as hell. I know there's another 1-2 seconds in my car there, but not 5. What tire are you running?
    Yes this is accurate, we are running Hoosier R6's currently and have also run Avon and Dunlop slicks. We are also looking at R100 Hoosiers but have not tried a set yet.

Mark

Request more pics and stats on this miata.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Everything you ever wanted to know is here in great detail. Wonderful write up of the build and it looks like the donor was a 10AE from Track Dog.

Thanks for the link, Nails - a lot of good reading and pretty engine pictures there.

I also wasn't aware of the truck L33 basically being an LS# - good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Perryrace View Post
    Yes this is accurate, we are running Hoosier R6's currently and have also run Avon and Dunlop slicks. We are also looking at R100 Hoosiers but have not tried a set yet.

Mark
    John Roberts ran R100s I believe, you should chat with him, again. Are you doing anything special for the rear hubs that seem to fail frequently? I always wonder "what could have been" if I did an LSx swap instead of the turbo stuff. I know I wouldn't want to drive a V8 Miata on the track without aero.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

John was running Formula Atlantic Fronts which are R35a's. Great for a few laps but that is about it (very, very soft).

Our rear hubs are bullet proof. In the link mentioned above I took the time to write the details on the rear end and axles hubs etc.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    ...it looks like the donor was a 10AE from Track Dog.
    I remember that car! What a transformation! Wow! Good to see it looking better than new. You went balls-to-the-wall with that build. Must wipe drool off keyboard.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

There are quite a few of your parts on the car too. Thanks again for the tub, really appreciate all you have done for us.

Mark