Thread: DIY 1.6 Intake

Default DIY 1.6 Intake

So, I have a 3" inlet K&N cone filter (ebay, $13, woohoo!), and an ebay MAF adapter plate. I was planning on just slapping the filter on the end of the MAF sensor with the adapter, thinking the layout was more like my old WRX, and that the MAF was already braced/supported. I just got a chance to actually poke around and it looks like this won't work.

Any of you guys do something like this? How did you brace the MAF and filter? And where did you put the filter? It's hard to say without taking the lower airbox out, but I think the one I bought is too big to fit directly off of the MAF where it is now without bending the plastic cross-piece close enough to the rad fan to make me nervous.

Searching this site, I found a picture of jrj512's:

How did you brace the MAF the way it's tilted in there, or is it just wedged in? I think my filter is too big to fit over there even if I did have the extension tubing.

Right now I have it just sitting, unbraced on top of the lower airbox, kind of like this picture from MoonieGT:

Except that it doesn't actually fit neatly inside like that, and there's not really anything to zip-tie to. I won't be driving the car like this I just didn't feel like putting the nasty stock filter back on and won't be driving the Miata for a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by p4R4d0x View Post
    How did you brace the MAF the way it's tilted in there, or is it just wedged in? I think my filter is too big to fit over there even if I did have the extension tubing.
    The MAF is braced vertically from the bottom with a thin piece of metal bar that I snagged from a friend. You can probably pick something up at Lowes Depot if you do not have anything laying around. I just cut it, drilled holes in it, and used existing nuts to hold it on.

Because of my damper adjustment knob, I could not use the bigger filter that I wanted, so I went with a slightly smaller filter. Still, I had to carefully bend the metal brake lines a little to wedge it in there. You would have to bend them, too, I imagine.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_FreeFlowing-a-Miata-MX5/A_110680/article.html

I just found that article, is the mount in this picture similar to yours jrj?

Same concept. Different execution. Just make yourself a bracket and mount it however it's convenient.