Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LSC BMW Autocross #9 - 11/12/11 @TMS

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Mr. Smooth driver goes to Tailchaser for this event. I was impressed with his driving after being away for a year.
    Glad to know it looked smooth from outside... It was pretty exciting going into that left-hand at the end of said zig-straight...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Results are up

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autox_resul...-12-11)all.htm

And year ending points. Congrats to all the winners.

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autox_results/2011YEP.htm
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 11-13-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

What does the m mean on the final results?

Quote Originally Posted by jbh View Post
    What does the m mean on the final results?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Oh ... that makes more sense than "Masterbates", which is what I thought ...

@Gernby - both my car and Jim Harris are STR-prepped, not quite max-ed out, but pretty close. 25 lb race seats and a header are about all I have left, Jim already has the header. Both are running on RS3's, street tires just like yours. Your car is probably closer to an STR prep than any other SCCA class. The NC has been around since 06, so lotsa aftermarket support...

The S2K's won all but one or two of the top 10 spots at Nats, and they were 3-4 seconds ahead of me at the Blytheville Tour a few months ago, so its not just tenths. That wasn't the case all season, but they seem to be pretty solidly "dominant" at this time. I had the 2nd fastest NC there, and another local guy's was the fastest (Schadt).

Not knocking you personally, just saying that the MSR on R-comps isn't unbeatable by you or me.

My feeling about classing for the NC was simply that it seems to be a bit too strong for the X class, so maybe it should be a Y car like the S2K. I've never mentioned a word about R-comps or making any changes to the rules regarding R-comps. I've never run R-comps.

You beat me at the last event, and I've beaten KB on his Hoosiers before. I beat you at this event on street tires. Slates is in an MSR on street tires and his times were right there with yours. I'm saying that I don't think you can claim that the S2K is overmatched by an stock MX-5 MSR on Hoosiers.

Since I am in the minority on my reclassing opinion, I will respect the majority and let sleeping dogs lie. Besides, a bone-stock NC on all-seasons is fair in X, and the classing for these clubs is built around that concept. If someone wants to mod it up, go bananas and have fun!

I look forward to facing-off with you in the ROC. (Let the wagering begin...)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Gernby View Post
    Oh ... that makes more sense than "Masterbates", which is what I thought ...
    I think it could be a dual-meaning thing...
    Polished Turd Racing

FYI, I started a "discussion" about updating the XYZ classing over on S2KI.com about 3 weeks ago (here), so I want to make it clear that I'm not just bringing this up now because of General Default.

In short, I think that the classes need to be updated to remove the "S2000 clause", but lower the engine displacement numbers that defines the split between X and Y, and possibly add a 1.5 multiplier for AWD. I think all three classes will be better if the AWD turbo buggies are in Z and the NC and S2000 are in Y, leaving X primarily for older Miatas.

The reason why I think AWD is such a benefit is due to the limitted grip at TMS and MW (gravel pits).

Forgot to mention ... I'm pretty sure my car wouldn't fit well into any SCCA class. I don't have many mods, but the mods that I do have are all illegal for STR (I think). If I remember correctly, STR requires a catalytic converter in the stock location, which mine is not. I do have a cat, but it's located elsewhere. I also believe my intake violates the rules, since I had to remove a piece of plastic in order to install it. I'm not sure if my larger fuel injectors would be legal, but I believe my FlashPro retune would be legal. I have larger 2 piece slotted brake rotors on the front that may not be legal either. My suspension would be legal, but it's crap (~40K mile Koni Yellows with soft springs). My dedicated "race" wheels are the staggered OEM wheels, but my street wheels (which I used on Saturday) are too wide in the rear for STR.

No, your car is way beyond STR, even beyond BSP ( I think the injectors bump you) but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt as far as your cars' potential. You might consider taking a run in my car to get a better idea.

I don't agree with moving the AWD, as they are pretty grip-limited by tire size on street tires. The fact that the Evo's, STI, NC and S2K all compete pretty evenly on street tires with decent suspension seems to support this.

I do like the NTAXS method of separating the Rcomps from the street tires rather than just class bumping, as it's not apples to apples. Another thought might be to add a 4th class to BMW to put Z cars on r comps, but that's probably goIng to thin the entries too much.

Ultimately, it's not broken, as attendance shows, so no need to fix it. Good discussion, though.
    Polished Turd Racing

If you guys want fairness go run SCCA and ER. I look forward to the same people complaining that NTAXS and BMW as being unfair coming back with their tails nut tucked again next year. This is a hobby treat it as such, don't take it so damn serious. Come out and have fun driving your car like you cannot on the streets, make fun of cops stopping people just off course while you are technically breaking the law. If you want to be serious about your driving skills attend all of the SCCA events, divisionals, and nationals.
    2008 Evolution GSR

I think all wheel drive cars should just get DQ'd from all events for not running restrictors large enough that they would have no effect on the cars overall performance.

Autocross is Serious Business, just you wait, one day someone will buy a GT3 or NA ariel atom one day, put it on street tires and run it in class Y. Then you will want to complain about classing as well.

That being said, I like the BMW and NTAXS classing. It is about as good as it gets for a simple structure.
    Last edited by 762; 11-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.

A business makes money, I pay money to autocross and until I get paid for doing so it will remain a casual, fun hobby. I wouldn't complain even then, they spent a shit ton more money on their cars than I did. $30k car holding it's own with a moving home?! Yet I can still get within a second or two, that would actually make my ego grow a tad bit more.
    Last edited by SiliconTek; 11-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    2008 Evolution GSR

I think (hope) it is all just friendly banter. That being said, the only class change I want is for JoJo to be in a different one than me. I was within .2 of Jeremy but Joseph kicked all our behinds by over 2.0 seconds. Good Job once again.

SrsBzns

Go JoJo Go!

I vote we have a Fastest Dirty Time of the Day next time! Damnit, I think my exhaust blew over one of the cones one time! Sad my fastest time was with a cone penalty!
    2008 Evolution GSR

I didn't win!!!

Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    I didn't win!!!

Awesome self Portrait Andy. Who new you were artistic.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    I didn't win!!!

We didn't see you out there... I was just making a joke not trying to be well...a dick ^
    Last edited by SiliconTek; 11-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    2008 Evolution GSR

Maybe I'm coming across as too serious about this stuff. Trust me, I'm just having fun here guys, both on the course and the forums. I enjoy winning, but I love competing more.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast