Thread: Speedo cable noise?

Default Speedo cable noise?

Quick question...I have an annoying squeaking noise coming from what seems like either under the center console or the passenger footwell. The sound is like under the car or maybe the left side of the passenger footwell. My MPH needle is jumpy and I'm guessing the noise is the speedo cable. Does that seem correct?

I saw a vid on here of how to replace it..what kinda cost for the cable?

Thanks!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

I paid ~$60 shipped brand new from a Mazda dealer however many years ago. I didn't use any sort of discount whatsoever (no Mazda Speed discount or whatever). So unless you can get a very new-ish used one for like $20 or less, I would just spring for a new one. I think they went up to like $70 without discount though.

Thanks for the info..i was thinking at least $100 so $70 would be great!

I just got a new one too. I was fine with the noise, but it started puking orange gear oil on the way home from Miatas at Hallett. Yeah, that's a first.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I only started really hearing it when I started driving with the top up recently. Squeaks drive me nuts! lol What did you pay for yours and was the install as straight forward as it looks?

The only part I find "tricky" when replacing them is making sure the rubber parts to hold them in place correctly are lined up almost perfectly. Otherwise you need to try to slide them down the cable housing with very little room to get in there. Everything else is cake. Apparently you need to be careful removing the cluster hood, but I've never broken one yet. Never tried the video of replacing it without pulling the cluster though.

And squeak or not, if that cable goes bad you won't have an odometer either.

When mine started to go, it was squeaking and the needle was jumping just like yours, but only when it was cold. It suddenly let go completely on trip to East Texas - screeching at a painfully loud volume. I had to stuff Kleenex in my ears just to finish the trip and make it home.

Go ahead and fix it now. And you might as well go ahead and figure on buying a gauge hood because it'll probably break when you pull it off.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Ok..at least now I know what it must be. I will get the cable ordered and put that on my "miata things to repair" list! Sounds like this one can be done in my garage.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    And you might as well go ahead and figure on buying a gauge hood because it'll probably break when you pull it off.
    If you have 'dainty' hands, you can weasel it out from the back....ask POS how he did his that way.

Watch the entire video it shows how to release the speedo cable without pulling the fragile and expensive gauge hood!

I'll watch the vid. I've always been told I have my mom's hands so maybe they will come in handy this time!
    Last edited by titanescape; 12-05-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    Sounds like this one can be done in my garage.
    Yes, hour tops if you pull the cluster hood - I would imagine it takes less time without removing it, provided you can get your hand up there. And that includes lifting the side of the car so you can get to the tranny end.

FWIW - SPEEDO CABLE Mazda Part No : NA01-60-070B

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If you have 'dainty' hands, you can weasel it out from the back....ask POS how he did his that way.
    I hear POS and "dainty" is the first thing that comes to mind...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I have installed 3 speedo cableson 2 different Miatas. I checked out the video and could not get to the top cable connectiion with my bear paws. Tiny raccoon hands would work though.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Man have you seen the size of raccoon hands????LOL...my mom's hands may be small but those things are TINY!!