Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decent Android Phone??

Default Decent Android Phone??

Well my 2 year old HTC Hero from Sprint is eligible for a replacement.

What would be a good choice these days? What are you cool kids using??

I also see I can now get a TCB approved Iphone 4......

I'm sure all the droid geeks will chime in here about how much better the Droids are over the iPhone but I love my iPhone. I've had a 3G, 3GS and nor a 4S. My wife has a 4 and my daughter plays with my old 3GS.

Here is my likes and dislikes with the iPhone. I'm sure the HTC phones have similar specs.

1. Great OS. The iPhone is popular for a reason. It's simple to use compared to the Android OS which requires a learning curve. My 5 year old taught herself how to use the Phone. iOS just works intuitively.

2. Lots more apps. Think of something. There's an app for that.

3. Facetime video chat is cool if you have family with an iPhone or iPad. Great to share moments with far away loved ones.

4. Good camera in the iPhone 4. Fantastic camera in the iPhone 4S.

5. Retina display is amazing. Reading web pages is equivalent to reading on paper. No discernible pixels.

6. Find my iPhone. Never lose your phone again!

I've tried messing with the Android phones and they just are not intuitive. It's really the equivalent of a Mac and a PC. The PC is open platform and more complicated. The Mac is closed platform but easy to use.

Dislikes

Hmm... let me think. Maybe a bigger display and of course Flash support. A SD Memory slot would be nice to but that isn't going to happen. With iCloud, device storage isn't as critical. The biggest negative, is I now want an iMac and an iPad. $$$
    Last edited by black roadster; 12-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

well, i'll start with the obvious and tell you to get the samsung galaxy s II. it is an a.m.a.z.i.n.g. phone big display, fast dual core processor, it's light and not as bulky as you might think for having such a big screen.

and if you are into modding your phone android is the way to go, it's so much fun and you can unlock your phones potential, unlike with iphone, you get one and thats pretty much it it, can't do much with it.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/4kvfc.jpg
    Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races - Carroll Shelby
    Mods
    FM front shock tower brace, OMP wheel, BBS Wheels, RZ ralco short throw shifter, Jackson Racing header, Racingbeat muffler.

What will you be using it for mainly? Two very different uses will give you two very different opinions of the iPhone 4.

I use my iPhone 4 a lot for work, and I have to say it sucks. There are times I want to stomp the thing out, and I'm not a very violent person. If there was a Droid that was the same size (or smaller, ideally) I would have went with that without a second thought. I didn't even look at them though since they were all massive (dimension-wise, not weight).

Using the iPhone for what it was designed, which is simply a cool tool, it is great. I wouldn't trade it for anything but a slightly smaller version of it, or the same thing with a better camera (apparently the 4S). One of these days I will jailbreak it, and from what I hear there are apps that will correct most of my main functional issues with the phone that are only available for jail-broken phones.

And I fully agree with black roadster's saying it's like the comparison between a PC and a mac. If you're a PC user, keep in mind that the iPhone has a single button. Just one. To do anything and everything. And it does very different things depending on where you are in the phone. If you're a die-hard PC user it takes a while to get used to an "idiot-proof" setup that only has one friggin' button.
    Last edited by Rob®; 12-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Looking at sprint's offerings, I would go with the Samsung Galaxy S ll 4G if it was me. I have the Galaxy S 4G and LOVE it. The II has an even bigger/better screen, the cameras are 8 mp and 2 mp, and the II adds a flash. You already know android, it can do video chat, Android has more aps than apple, you can make it a wifi hotspot, and you don't have to pay for nav.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

LG Optimus-V thru Virgin Mobile. $25 a month. No contracts. Unlimited everything.

EDIT - I lied...300 mins of voice, unlimited text and data.
    Last edited by sammm; 12-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverzero89 View Post
    and if you are into modding your phone android is the way to go, it's so much fun and you can unlock your phones potential, unlike with iphone, you get one and thats pretty much it it, can't do much with it.
    This is what I don't get... it's a phone. What are you modding it for? What do you want it to do? The iPhone requires almost zero fiddling and cussing to get it up and running. Adding apps is easy, and there are plenty of cool ones. And I've had almost no trouble with mine. I think it's locked up on me once or twice in the last 2 years.

Downsides? The iPhone doesn't accept memory cards, so that sucks. But unless you're storing a bunch of music and video on it, it's a non-issue.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

FWIW..I have the HTC EVO 4G. I love it..not really sure what the iphone does better than the EVO. I don't need face time or Suri...there's way too many apps on both to really care. The screen on the EVO is big and I like that.

I think it's all about personal preference and the EVO was not hard to set up at all. I get 2 yahoo accounts and 2 gmail accounts on it just fine. Texting is breeze and I have had no issues. They only thing I don't like is the 4G eats the battery!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    The only thing I don't like is the 4G eats the battery!
    I notice on a lot of the specs your not even going to get 8 hours out of some of these new fangled phones...... Is that the norm??

Not sure if you're still thinking about an iPhone, but I can easily get 8+ hours from mine. IF I actually close everything and it's either on a network or I turn search for wifi off. Searching for a wifi network with an iPhone kills it in short order, which it constantly does if you have that function turned on and aren't on a network. As does only hitting the single button to "close" (it's actually just minimize) programs - they stay running in the background until you go the super secret route of actually closing them.

But when on a network, I charge my phone every other day. As long as I end Friday with 50% battery or more, I won't have to recharge until Monday morning. And like I said, I use it a lot...but it's almost always on a wifi network (not sure if you jailbreak and make it so it's always on wifi if that affects battery life or not).

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    This is what I don't get... it's a phone. What are you modding it for? What do you want it to do? The iPhone requires almost zero fiddling and cussing to get it up and running.
    I used to think the same thing until I got my iPhone. Things I can think of off the top of my head that you need to modify: quick whole word delete (not the stupid select/select all menu that pops up), clear all emails (aka bulk delete an entire page of emails), clear all texts (aka bulk delete an entire screen/page of texts), call bar (makes it so you can still do things when someone calls you - doesn't take up the entire screen forcing you to do something with the call), quick change between completely silent with no vibrate to vibrate only (I still can't find a built-in one-button solution for vibrate only).

I could go on with other "little" issues that are annoying as crap, especially when you use the phone for business things.

If you're familiar with Android, you might as well stick with it.

The Mac/PC comparison is a good one. The biggest plus of the iPhone is that everything is intuitive. Also, only having one button means almost everything is touchscreen based and obvious. By comparison my Blackberry has five buttons (one of which is also a swipe pad) in addition to the touchscreen, and Blackberry's insitence on keeping "their" user interface means I spend half my time trying to remember which button to push to open the pop up menu that I have to scroll through to get to the function I want, when the funciton is right out front on the touchscreen on my iPhone.

Have I mentioned I hate Blackberry? I'd just forward my Blackberry to my old iPhone and never touch it again if there was a decent way to access Lotus Notes on an iPhone (yes, we are one of the three companies in the world still using Lotus Notes).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think the iphone is superior for the average user who mainly makes calls, surfs the net occasionally, messages/sends pictures and uses common apps for simple tasks. It rarely has glitches, is easy to setup and use, is always backed up (if you use icloud or connect to your computer evey so often) and does everything pretty well.

If you are really into customizing your phone, running complex, user-definable apps or having open-source access to tons of apps/using flash, or want the biggest screen possible and 4G data rates, the Droids win.

Having used both (but being an admitted Apple-guy), the droid os pissed me off far too often. Its complex to use some features, but that can be learned. The reason I will not use android phones anytime soon is dismal battery life. Everyone I knwo who is honest about this stuff will tell you they have to recharge durign the day or risk a dead phone if they use their phone often, or even do a few data-intense tasks. 8 hours is VERY common battery life. Those giant screens are massive energy-hogs, and android is prone to letting apps run in the background and kill batteries. You will end-up using app-killer apps to try to control backround stuff, but even they are tricky to get right.

iPhone's, especially the discounter 3Gs and 4 models now that the 4S is out, are no longer overpriced, and they have a proven track record of long life, good battery life ( my 4 can go 2 days without a charge if I go easy on the interent) and reliability. My 2 cents.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I think the iphone is superior for the average user who mainly makes calls
    I agree with everything you said (keeping in mind the average user bit) EXCEPT this. It is beyond clear that the iPhone 4 was designed for everything but phone use. I have never been so frustrated as I have been the first few times I tried to use the damn phone function on this phone. It still pisses me off, actually. Phone usage was a definite oversight when they made this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    Phone usage was a definite oversight when they made this one.
    Frankly, it's an oversight with ANY smart phone... just sayin.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

This is very true. But with past phones I've had they all let me double tap on any text message to call that person. On the iPhone, I have to scroll all the way to top of the text chain (which can take awhile if you don't delete often because of the lack of delete-all option) before I can hit the call button.

Similarily, all my past smart and mediocre-intelligence phones have all had a simple one-button press to go from ringer volume to silent to vibrate only to alarm only. You had to cycle the volume button, which was awesome. The iPhone? It's either vibrate all the time or none of the time when you use the silent switch on the side, and can only be changed after clicking through the settings menu a few times. And no alarm only option that I have found, even trying out a few different alarm apps. The lack of easy to cycle ringer volume function is a HUGE negative to me in a business - and even school - environment. And a MAJOR oversight to me, which I have yet to experience on any of my past smart phones, or heard about on new non-iPhones.

The regular alarm clock will sound no matter what position the silent switch is in. That is basically alarm only.

Mine doesn't. Can't tell you how many times I've tried it.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I personally have always preferred Campbells...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

You might want to take it to apple then to get it checked out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast