Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Management, OBDII, and emiisions on a '99

Default Engine Management, OBDII, and emiisions on a '99

Trying to get a better handle on the options that are available (besides reverting back to a stockish setup for inspections).

One option would be letting DynoTronics reflash the factory ECU right?

Another would be running third party engine management in parallel with the stock ECU right?

Are there any stand alone engine management solutions that will replace the stock ECU and still work come inspection time?

Any other solutions?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

I have heard rumor of a device that does nothing but send the all clear ODBII signal to allow a car to pass inspection with an aftermarket ecu. Don't have a clue on who makes one or where to get it.

One upside to the DPTune reflash is that it eliminates emissions hassles, assuming your car runs well.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

parallel install Reverant ms2

Get on miataturbo.net and stay out of the adaptronic section.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I have heard rumor of a device that does nothing but send the all clear ODBII signal to allow a car to pass inspection with an aftermarket ecu. Don't have a clue on who makes one or where to get it.
    Supposedly this is no longer available as the guy either was threatened or got in trouble with the law. No surprise there.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Get on miataturbo.net and stay out of the adaptronic section.
    LOL Travis is a joke. Just ignore everything he says and the base maps...

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    LOL Travis is a joke. Just ignore everything he says and the base maps...
    I wouldn't say he's "a joke". He does good work in general but their Adaptronic is a bit painful to use and tune. Boundary makes several niche products that I appreciate.

Moonie,
    You probably won't be happy with a flash tune if available and you won't find anything that will report OBDII codes for our cars because we use an ancient computer in our cars that's pretty much dead, we don't have market power like the Evo and STI crowd, and your stock air meter is not designed to exceed to move more than ~150whp or so (it can only warm the wire so much). MS2++ from Reverant is looking really slick with pretty flawless implementation (~PnP install). That computer is not the standard MS2, it's two custom boards with features that no one else is doing that will help drivability and fuel economy immensely. With Tuner Studio its also very easy to tune. In the spring I plan to install it on my daily, possibly with a VVT swap, and make significant power and fuel economy increases. I'm estimating 140whp, 125wtq (Dynojet numbers), and 35mpg and I plan to fully document this on Miataturbo. Before you all scoff at those numbers remember that "Crusher" is making 140wtq and 150whp on a Superflow and using cam angle to limit output to stay in class. With I/H/E on a 10:1 engine, we could see up to 170whp from a stock engine on a Dynojet; I recently got 140whp out of Trickyrix' 99 head, 9:1 engine with tuning on 93 octane so it's not really a stretch when you consider an additional 16* of cam advance and one full point increase in compression.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Also, DIY Autotune just put new pics up on their facebook page of MSpnp2 which has some really cool features that we don't know much about yet but expect real, modern knock control in the future, onboard det-can jack, and of course it will have sequential fuel and spark since its MS2 based. It's not available for your car yet, but Reverant's is. I have no real loyalty to either vendor for the record. If they want to send me one for my car at a low rate, I'll drink the Kool-AIDS.

I would take 140whp from an NA setup and be quite happy for a while. Let me know how I make that a reality on a 99! I might to have a chat with you...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    I would take 140whp from an NA setup and be quite happy for a while. Let me know how I make that a reality on a 99! I might to have a chat with you...
    With the same mods, you will probably make more because you have .5 more static compression than Trickyrixy. I recommend you contact "Reverant" on Miataturbo and place an order, tell him I sent you, and we can throw them in the same box to save on shipping from Greece. He can also make you a conversion harness so we only need to run two IAT wires, one wire for the WBO2 and one MAP line.

140whp is not the best part, the drivability is the fun. Rick's car sings now, it loves the throttle, it revs with no more dead-spots. I don't have a lot of experience with sequential fuel and spark but I'm learning it fast, you can do some really slick stuff with big injectors, injector timing, and intake cam timing and I'm going to try that stuff out on my car first, run it for a few months, watch EGT and EFR for a few weeks, then call it rule of law. I go to Houston three times per month so I plan on doing several 100-mile "test sessions" to see what works on our cars in regards to fuel economy, I'm already getting 34mpg on my turbo car, 22-26mpg at 80mph in my turbo car with the 300lb tire trailer/air brake.

BTW, I'm probably tuning a couple cars later this month (Jeff and mine) so if you like loud noises, CO, and fire, you can see what tuning is like. My car should be fine but I had 7 bent intake valves and 60% leak so I'm not certain if my car will appreciate the new compression on the current tune. I could simply drive the shit out of it on the street and listen to detonation with headphones, but I don't feel like going to jail and want to get that turbo manifold nice and yellow instead of finding detonation on the track. I'm 95% sure everything is fine and the current tune will work, but I don't take chances on $5k worth of engine and turbo.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 12-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.

I don't know that I'll be able to place an order just yet. I think the wife is up to something. Santa was going to bring me a new radiator and I was going to grab a midpipe to get the car ready for some FI fun... Last night she told me not to buy anything "Just wait. You're going to like it." So I'm not sure what's going on. After the dust settles, I might be able to swing the ECU early next year. An extra 25-30 whp and some stickier tires would really help me out with the slower turns where 3rd gear just doesn't have any balls and shifting down to 2nd seems like a waste of time...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

And let me know when you're tuning, I'd like to check it out if I can sneak off for a bit...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    BTW, I'm probably tuning a couple cars later this month (Jeff and mine) so if you like loud noises, CO, and fire, you can see what tuning is like. My car should be fine but I had 7 bent intake valves and 60% leak so I'm not certain if my car will appreciate the new compression on the current tune. I could simply drive the shit out of it on the street and listen to detonation with headphones, but I don't feel like going to jail and want to get that turbo manifold nice and yellow instead of finding detonation on the track. I'm 95% sure everything is fine and the current tune will work, but I don't take chances on $5k worth of engine and turbo.
    Where is this tuning going to occur?....sounds like fun. Since I am home I could use some entertainment.

Exatorque in Rowlette/Garland. I always like to see the "faces of horror" when I do the final "destruction test" where the car screams and the exhaust glows yellow. It still scares me, every time.

^ that's what I am talking about. I still remember running an engine on a dyno the first time, all of us (other than the dyno operator) slowly backed away from it as the revs rose and were standing by the door by the time it was at redline.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I wouldn't say he's "a joke". He does good work in general but their Adaptronic is a bit painful to use and tune. Boundary makes several niche products that I appreciate.
    His base map wouldn't even start my car... It had basic settings wrong.... Like coolant temp, air temp, fuel, idle, etc etc etc. I was of course trying to get a really odd setup to run.... stock injectors, etc.....

I found it very easy to tune... once I realized all the start points were wrong. I don't have to have multiple maps like I've heard other adaptronic users having to do.

Starting the car the first time is the hardest part, don't fault him for that. I've had cars that took me 2-hours to start and 30 minutes to get road ready once running.

Trey - can you tell me what else I'd need for an NA setup other than the ecu? Santa brought me a header and mid pipe and I'd like to take full advantage of them...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Cobb Accessport and it doesn't exist for a miata.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Trey - can you tell me what else I'd need for an NA setup other than the ecu? Santa brought me a header and mid pipe and I'd like to take full advantage of them...
    LC1 and gauge
    shorty intake behind the passenger headlight
    GM IAT sensor unless you want to run on the MAF

Thanks John. I'm also trying to figure out which MS kit I would need for my '99. I've got a lot of reading to do...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast