Thread: New spindles and uprights - what features are needed?

Default New spindles and uprights - what features are needed?

We're about to embark on a Miata project with a LOT of fabrication. This will be a high powered car with a lot of tire under it. One of the things we're looking at is fabricating new spindles and rear uprights that will accept a modern cartridge style bearing. These parts will eventually make it to production.

Why? The number one reason is to get rid of the failure prone front hub. Number two is to make it easier to put a Ford 8.8 IRS diff in the back.

This will most likely mean a swap to 5x114 bolt pattern.

Is there anything else we should incorporate into the new parts? Raise the centerlines to lower the car? Move the steering arm for more or less Ackerman? Fix any bump steer from lowering?

The NC is 5x114 already. I know it's a pricier platform now but soon the ND will be out and that will push NC prices down faster. If you want to dominate Miata V8s get the drop on FM and beat them to the punch and/or build a better NC V8. Sorry I can't help ya on your questions.

Some guys are already running 285s on them too.

Just raise the whole hub by 1-1.5 in. That will keep the arms in the correct alignment and eliminate bumpsteer for everyone except the draggers on CR.net. How much rubber are you planning on running?
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

If you do 1" drop spindles, how are you going to fit the control arm inside the wheel?

Why not use a light rear end?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    If you do 1" drop spindles, how are you going to fit the control arm inside the wheel?

Why not use a light rear end?
    The same way he is gonna run tons of rubber...not run a 15" wheel.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    The specific car we are building this for will run huge wheels. Most likely a 17x10 or a (OMG!) 18x11. Tire height will still be short. But if we ever plan on selling any of these I don't think we can count on everyone running big rims like this.

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

I would love to run a 17x9 5x114

Quote Originally Posted by 00MugenS2 View Post
    I would love to run a 17x9 5x114

Buy an NC. We run them all day!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

NO $$$$

I bought my Miata to save money, not spend more.
    Last edited by 00MugenS2; 02-03-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    The specific car we are building this for will run huge wheels. Most likely a 17x10 or a (OMG!) 18x11. Tire height will still be short. But if we ever plan on selling any of these I don't think we can count on everyone running big rims like this.
    I am waiting on my 17x10 to come in...275s all around. Maybe 315 in the rear. I am planning lots of mods to the wheel-wells and fenders.