Thread: Cryogenic Hardening

Default Cryogenic Hardening

Has anyone ever considered hardening their internals? Anyone know of a place to do so in the dfw area? I am looking at hardening my pistons

Karnak says: This thread will degenerate just as "Inspection Cameras" did.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

hmm, anyone have any useful information

I believe that John Day Custom Engine had one at one time, but I'm not certain. gary@trackdog used to have his brake rotors cryo'd. maybe he knows of a place.

What is your goal in getting the pistons hardened? Seems to me it would be better to simply buy pistons that already meet your desired spec rather than trying to harden fatigued parts, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver

its cheaper to just buy forged pistons, and stronger in the long run, just my 2 cents

I'd do WPC over cryo. Don't expect it to make cast pistons as strong as 2618 or 4032 forged guts. Don't expect it to make rods stronger either. I'd rather go with WPC and tread the surface.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I'd do WPC over cryo. Don't expect it to make cast pistons as strong as 2618 or 4032 forged guts. Don't expect it to make rods stronger either. I'd rather go with WPC and tread the surface.
    Help me learn, What is WPC?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I believe it is a type of micro shot peening.

TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!