Thread: Brake fluid...racing or not?

Default Brake fluid...racing or not?

Getting ready to install new brakes and need advise/suggestions on which brake fluid to use and where to get it locally if possible. Heavy autocross use, plus regular street use...

Thoughts?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A bunch of us have been using Valvoline for several years now. Get it at Vatozone.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...brake-fluid/28

If no track days, then no reason to use the high-dollar stuff.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I alternate between valvoline and ate super blue to make flushing easier.

So some vatozones in theory still carry valvolvine... good to know. thanks. mine officially sucks.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Prestone DOT4 seems to do fine for aggressive street driving.

I think the high the temp fluid the quicker it absorbs moisture. No race, no race fluid.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I think the high the temp fluid the quicker it absorbs moisture. No race, no race fluid.
    Yup. The really, really good stuff becomes way worse than the cheapest stuff within 20-30 days. Valvoline is a great compromise as it has a nice, high wet boiling temp.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'll be the voice of dissent here. Imagine that.

I've tried the Valvoline stuff and it's what I use in my wife's car, but I prefer the pedal feel of Motul RBF600. The Valvoline seems to have slightly more compressibility, which translates into a slightly softer pedal feel.

FWIW, Cobb Tuning carries RBF600 if you're looking for a local source.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I use Ford HD Dot 3. About 590*F dry boiling point, available at Ford dealers and TCB approved. Wet BP not so good, so change often.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Thanks, guys - I really appreciate the input. Goin' with the Motul RBF600 - getting it from TDR, and William is providing EXCELLENT customer service by letting me pick it up from him in my area!

And I am planning on a track day or two...Phil has convinced me.

Well worth it if track days are planned. I never had any fade after I switched to the Motul
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by rpmchris View Post
    Thanks, guys - I really appreciate the input. Goin' with the Motul RBF600 - getting it from TDR, and William is providing EXCELLENT customer service by letting me pick it up from him in my area!

And I am planning on a track day or two...Phil has convinced me.
    Good choice. Make one of those track days Miatas at Hallett too.

I have Motul in both the autocross and track Miatas, and the Z06 with WilWoods

no issues at all in any vehicle

previously used the Valvoline Syn (2002 or so) in a Z28 on PCA Time Trial, and first time I ever had fluid boil and zero brakes till cooled some

nursed the car home and flushed that stuff out minutes after arriving safely -- never again

the ultimate is Castrol SRF, but last I bought was $70 a quart

Chris -- PM me if you are interested in an Apex track day
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by rpmchris View Post
    Goin' with the Motul RBF600 - getting it from TDR, and William is providing EXCELLENT customer service by letting me pick it up from him in my area!

Thanks Chris. Glad to help. I know you will like the Motul and haven't experienced it absorbing moisture and quicker than the valvoline. Not a fan of the super blue as it stains the reservoir and is not DOT legal IIRC. Besides, is it really that tough to see the difference between clean and dirty regular brake fluid?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Castrol LMA keeps it's color better than any other fluid I've used and it's cheap. I use it in my daily and both clutch master cylinders.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Thanks Chris. Glad to help. I know you will like the Motul and haven't experienced it absorbing moisture and quicker than the valvoline. Not a fan of the super blue as it stains the reservoir and is not DOT legal IIRC. Besides, is it really that tough to see the difference between clean and dirty regular brake fluid?
    They make gold stuff too, which I use. I like this fluid, but I have ducting and huge brakes, I have to flush twice per year due to water.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!