Thread: Quick question re: inspection testing and turbos/ecu's

Default Quick question re: inspection testing and turbos/ecu's

What are the current regulations in the DFW area regarding emissions testing and ECU's, specifically for a 2002 NB? Can you only pass with a piggy-back or parallel or can you pass with a full replacement? Also, if a full replacement won't pass, am I right in assuming that if you had one, you'd have to swap back to stock ECU and injectors temporarily to pass?

I swap back. Only way to pass OBD2.

We need more details on your set-up and how you plan to post codes.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Are you asking me or slowchild? My setup is stock a stock 2002. I was pondering a Voodoo or Hydra or parallel MS. I didn't know what the hassle factor would be for inspections. Voodoo = no hassle, least control. Hydra = most control, swap ecu's and injectors once a year (or once every time you get ticketed for expired inspection, if you're a rebel). Parallel = no hassle, medium control. Correct?

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

I am a state inspector and I have a 97 with a MS PNP. It wont pass emissions. The only thing I can do is register it in a non-emissions county so I can do a saftey only. Or in Oklahoma where there is no state inspections.
    SEE MY IN-CAR TRACK VIDEOS
    VHM Racing-------OJCrew -"John Mugen"
    00 Silverstone S2000 (Track Toy)
    96 Miata (Project Track Beast)

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Are you asking me or slowchild? My setup is stock a stock 2002. I was pondering a Voodoo or Hydra or parallel MS. I didn't know what the hassle factor would be for inspections. Voodoo = no hassle, least control. Hydra = most control, swap ecu's and injectors once a year (or once every time you get ticketed for expired inspection, if you're a rebel). Parallel = no hassle, medium control. Correct?
    I guess you're right if you want a $2500 computer with a proprietary O2 sensor and it's generally a pain in the ass to tune compared to MS.
    Voodoo if you want a car that runs like shit.
    Stand alone if you want to win at life.
    Piggy-back if you can get the stand-alone computer to run flyback for the VVT, IAC, I think you need flyback on injectors, and narrow band and heater. Most piggies are just fuel, spark, and enrichment.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

In DFW an OBDII car must communicate with the emissions testing equipment and return the proper codes. You can try registering it out of county but that doesn't make it legal so don't get caught or you will get a ticket. I've read up on this and the laws a very clear about which cars are required to get an emissions inspection. If you don't drive the car often this may work though. Other option is to switch back once a year at inspection time.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

what if i were to ms a 91 that doesnt have obd2. How hard would it be to pass it?

Easy...if it is tuned correctly.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by lawmaster891 View Post
    what if i were to ms a 91 that doesnt have obd2. How hard would it be to pass it?
    Like Flyin96M says, as long as you tune it specifically to pass emissions testing, there shouldn't be an issue at all.

Two main things to keep in mind though, that I don't know if apply to Texas or not:
    1. Visual inspection on the emissions stuff. So if you have no cat, no charcoal canister, lines deleted, etc etc, you might want to look into that.
    2. Check engine light coming on when the key is put to on but the engine is not running. I know NJ was big on this one. I know the LINK can be rewired for this, not sure of any others - I would imagine it's the same thing though (like two wires behind the glove box IIRC).