Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NTAXS Autocross #3, 5/12/12, TMS Bus Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Can I buy the remain spots and sell them off at a higher price?
    As long as I get a cut.

Doh! I waited to long to sign up and the event is full. Crap. Is there a waiting list I can get on in case someone drops out? Or does Ken O have some spots for sale?
    Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by mwortham View Post
    Doh! I waited to long to sign up and the event is full. Crap. Is there a waiting list I can get on in case someone drops out? Or does Ken O have some spots for sale?
    You are on the list. Second, I believe.

Keep in mind that if someone unregisters before registration closes, then someone else could sneak in via DLB. However, if anyone contacts me to tell me they can't make it, then I will pull from the waiting list.

Cool. Thanks dood.
    Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Anyone going to this event running a de-powered p/s rack on their NA? I'm debating whether or not I want to de-power my rack, and would like to briefly try it before I proceed. Maybe just a drive up the street and back.

Take the belt off your ps pump for a quick ride around the block.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by rmonheim View Post
    Anyone going to this event running a de-powered p/s rack on their NA? I'm debating whether or not I want to de-power my rack, and would like to briefly try it before I proceed. Maybe just a drive up the street and back.
    Why do you want to lose the PS? I just drove a manual rack (I think it's just de-powered) at an AX on Sunday, and I would have kept the PS. The owner seems to agree, too.

Just disconnecting the belt is a bad idea as you are then manually pushing fluid through the pump all the time. Steering effort will be high even at 5+ mph where a manual rack starts to need no assistance. It is no surprise to me that people who "try out" manual steering this way don't like it.

There are ways to properly convert the rack to manual but they require removing it from the car.

Yeah I've read about the different methods. I tried pulling the belt just for the hell of it, and it was pretty bad. I would be pulling the rack out and removing seals, etc. I guess I'm asking if anyone has properly depowered, not pulled the belt.

The p/s on my car is just way too light for my taste.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by rmonheim View Post
    Yeah I've read about the different methods. I tried pulling the belt just for the hell of it, and it was pretty bad. I would be pulling the rack out and removing seals, etc. I guess I'm asking if anyone has properly depowered, not pulled the belt.

The p/s on my car is just way too light for my taste.
    Maybe you should try and test drive that Green Miata that Jarrett and Thomas co-drove and they both were not comfortable with how hard it was to turn. Maybe 275 Hoosiers were the culprit but just my .02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by S2K_MoZo View Post
    Maybe you should try and test drive that Green Miata that Jarrett and Thomas co-drove and they both were not comfortable with how hard it was to turn. Maybe 275 Hoosiers were the culprit but just my .02 cents.
    DP is not comfortable. But at least they tried it. Mark runs DP all the time without any problems. Although Jerrett said he could learn to love DP. I think Thomas was hook after his first DP run. But we all knew that would happen.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Jerrett said he could learn to love DP. But we all knew that would happen.
    Nothing more needs to be said

[QUOTE=jrj512;263084]Why do you want to lose the PS? I just drove a manual rack (I think it's just de-powered) at an AX on Sunday, and I would have kept the PS. The owner seems to agree, too.[/QUOT

No, mine is a true manual rack.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

No, mine is a true manual rack.
    That's what Jimmy told Slowchildmiata right before he got into DP!
    Polished Turd Racing

Keep in mind that Mark's car has a ton of extra scrub radius and mechanical trail due to the low offset wheels. Extra scrub radius increases steering effort exponentially, and mechanical trail reduces steering feedback from the tires. Although I haven't driven the car I would wager that the steering effort/feedback is very different than a stock geometry car.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Although I haven't driven the car I would wager that the steering effort/feedback is very different than a stock geometry car.
    Yes. I have also driven STS cars without PS and it was easier. However, I prefer PS there, too. Keep in mind that I am a weenie, so...

Chassis Designer

I recently de-powered my rack. The effort is significantly more, but the feel sure is nice. I still haven't decided if it's worth it. I don't daily drive mine, don't drive it much at all really, so it's not a huge deal either way. I've autoxed it once and ran one rookie track day at Cresson. I think that once I install an aftermarket steering wheel it'll be better - assuming I mount the wheel closer to me. My arms are pretty outstretched currently, which doesn't help.

Ideally, I think a heavier torsion bar with a power rack would be the best. Stock is far too light for my tastes. A heavier T-bar would increase feel while still offering power assist. I looked into a bit when I was working at a power steering shop, but took a new job before I got very far.

You're welcome to take mine for a spin any time, but looks like this weekend's race is full so I won't make this one.

Tentative Run/Work Order:

Run 1/3, Work 2/4: 2, 3, S2K

Run 2/4, Work 1/3: ​1, 1R, 2R, 3R
    Polished Turd Racing

I thought - Rain, tight course, wet.

Reality - Rain stopped, fun course, very dry in the afternoon.

M3 is always the answer.

Next time I'll listen to Stolz's bunion instead of the stupid weather radar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast