Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch Shudder!

Default Clutch Shudder!

My kid has taken over the 2002 Miata which since new has had the dreaded clutch shudder issues. We have just lived with since it wasn't that big of an issue.

But now daily reports on clutch shudder from the Kid has made me consider finally changing the clutch on the car.

So I have a Flywheel out of 96' that I plan to get it resurfaced then order a nice new OEM quality clutch kit.

Any other things I should do to ensure a shudder free clutch when I'm done?

My 2002 had that issue some too. The previous owner had more problems than I. The more I've used it, the less it has been a problem (67K miles now). The odd thing is that I've heard this about 2002's but I've never heard anything unique about the 2002 clutch system.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    My 2002 had that issue some too. The previous owner had more problems than I. The more I've used it, the less it has been a problem (67K miles now). The odd thing is that I've heard this about 2002's but I've never heard anything unique about the 2002 clutch system.
    You are not alone on that one! Anyone know what made the '02 so "special"?

Kid drove my '94 quite a bit before she got the '02 so she now knows how a clutch should operate vs. how the one in this '02 works.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Tech Day! (before it gets too hot)

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Tech Day! (before it gets too hot)
    KK has a Mission Trip coming up that gives me about 6-7 days to get it done!

I'll keep ya posted!

My '02 works fine....

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    My '02 works fine....
    Yea but isn't your car an Automatic??

More on the infamous clutch shudder for those who have no idea what we are talking about -> http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-001.03.html

If I were replacing the clutch, it wouldn't be with an OEM.

BTW, I've also found that if I drive it more aggressively (higher revs on take-off), the problem disappears. If she slips it at higher RPM and it lives a shorter life, you were going to replace it anyway so no loss.

You replacing al that 'other stuff' while you're at it?

Why not OEM style?? It is an all stock car. What do you recommend??
    BTW, I've also found that if I drive it more aggressively (higher revs on take-off), the problem disappears. If she slips it at higher RPM and it lives a shorter life, you were going to replace it anyway so no loss.
    It is a catch 22 for her if she burns it out I'll be mad if she shudders it into the back of another car I'll be mad. The poor kid just can't win!

These humid mornings have exasperated the problem plus they are working on every road in N. Texas so she is hitting a lot of stop and go traffic which doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    You replacing all that 'other stuff' while you're at it?
    What other stuff?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    What other stuff?
    Rear main seal....I'm sure there's shopping list somewhere.

Chassis Designer

I bought my '03 with 32K miles... the clutch had a minor shudder... more revs reduced or eliminated it for a while. At 58K, I couldn't put up with it any more. My understanding is, the flywheel is the cause, if you replace just the clutch the problem will be back. I replaced the flywheel, clutch, and all of the seals that were uncovered. At 80K it is still working well

Quote Originally Posted by Jim m View Post
    My understanding is, the flywheel is the cause, if you replace just the clutch the problem will be back. I replaced the flywheel, clutch, and all of the seals that were uncovered. At 80K it is still working well
    Thanks Jim! I've heard a few stories where the clutch pack was replaced and the shudder came back that is why I picked up a flywheel off an earlier model Miata.

From my understanding the flywheel stayed the same for all the Big Block (1.8 liter) Miatas from '94 to '05. But Mazda did something different on the "shudder Series" of Miatas.

When the pilot bearing went out on the '94, one of our local gurus replaced the rear main seal, pilot bearing, OEM budget clutch and throw out bearing. All parts were from Rosenthals.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Rear Main seal, front and rear transmission seals, clutch slave, that pesky heater hose, that TERRIBLE coolant hose to the oil cooler. No CAS seal to worry about, right?

I say let her deal with it being her first car and all. She will thank you for it later when she is able to tell stories about her first car.

If you do decide to replace it replace the front and rear transmission seals along with the rear main seal.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Why not OEM style?? It is an all stock car. What do you recommend??
    The TSB said to replace the clutch so I thought the OEM was the problem in the first place. From discussion here, it sounds like it's the flywheel?

Chassis Designer

I replaced the clutch on my 94 with a 'puck' style unit. Shudder was pretty bad. Higher revs worked just fine. Last week I dropped the front subframe and the motor mounts fell out in pieces. New motor mounts and the shudder is all but gone. Just one more thing to check.

The TSB said to replace the clutch so I thought the OEM was the problem in the first place. From discussion here, it sounds like it's the flywheel?
    Lots of reported cases where the clutch pack was replaced and the dreaded shudder returned. So I figured I'd just change the flywheel to eliminate it as a possibility.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast