Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PCA Time Trial #3 and Autocross #3 6/16-6/17 at Mineral Wells Airport

Umm... dunno who you're referring to, but I'm on record as being a big fan of Mineral Wells. I've also run 1 of the 2 PCA autocrosses so far this year, and was planning on attending this one.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Reading the rules on the PCA website you get 6 runs in groups of 3 so is that two runs where you get 3 laps each for a total of 6 laps or 6 times out with 3 laps each for 18 laps?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Reading the rules on the PCA website you get 6 runs in groups of 3 so is that two runs where you get 3 laps each for a total of 6 laps or 6 times out with 3 laps each for 18 laps?
    I think it was 2 AM sessions and 2 PM sessions with 3 laps each session. 12 laps. You should come out to MSR and run the 1.7 on Saturday.
    M3 is always the answer.

+1
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I think it was 2 AM sessions and 2 PM sessions with 3 laps each session. 12 laps. You should come out to MSR and run the 1.7 on Saturday.
    Which organization is doing the 1.7 at MSR?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Which organization is doing the 1.7 at MSR?
    Apex
    http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/
    M3 is always the answer.

Novice and Advanced are the only spots left. Don't want to do lead/follow all day or get run over.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Did PCA change their classing for non-Porsche cars starting at this event?

Club registration referenced: http://mav.pca.org/events/WhatCarClassAmI.htm

This looks simpler than the last PCA autocross results. I was struggling with figuring out how some of the Miatas wound up if significantly different classes.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Novice and Advanced are the only spots left. Don't want to do lead/follow all day or get run over.
    Apex does not do lead/follow. Each car gets an instructor. I don't think you would have an issue in Advanced.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Did PCA change their classing for non-Porsche cars starting at this event?

Club registration referenced: http://mav.pca.org/events/WhatCarClassAmI.htm

This looks simpler than the last PCA autocross results. I was struggling with figuring out how some of the Miatas wound up if significantly different classes.
    Yep, they pretty much use the same classing as the NTAXS, now, sans the S2000 class. Much simpler than what they had before.

Queue arguments about the best way to do classing...

Cosmos, you shouldn't have a problem in advanced. I got bumped to Red/instructor group at the last ECR event I ran since I was catching everyone in the lower group, and I'm not Asian-fast. Come play!
    Polished Turd Racing

Apex does not do lead/follow. Each car gets an instructor. I don't think you would have an issue in Advanced.
    I don't think you'd have trouble in Advanced either, but to get there typically requires a signoff from an Apex instructor that you are certified to drive solo, since instructors are optional for Advanced students.

I'd contact Apex directly and let them know your background and experience (especially any other tracks/organizations you've soloed with) if you're going to sign up in Advanced.

Have fun - wish I could make it tomorrow, but most of my Saturdays are taken up by work until October.

As for fast cars - be warned that there are some stupid fast cars in a typical Apex Advanced group. A lot of times it's actually faster than the Instructor group, since many of the instructors tend to drive more disposable (and slower) cars. It's not uncommon to see the Advanced group full of GT3RSs, Vipers, and the occasional ZR1 on R comps. Here's a link to an Advanced group gallery - notice several Viper Challenge cars. If you are not comfortable watching your mirrors, then this is not the group for you.
    Last edited by altiain; 06-15-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep, they pretty much use the same classing as the NTAXS, now, sans the S2000 class. Much simpler than what they had before.

Queue arguments about the best way to do classing...
    I prefer the NC's in a different group from the NB, NASA-style trigonometric formula multipliers, ABAB format, 65° weather, MW not to wear my tires, free beer, strippers, and douche jokes.

Is that too much to ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    I prefer the NC's in a different group from the NB, NASA-style trigonometric formula multipliers, ABAB format, 65° weather, MW not to wear my tires, free beer, strippers, and douche jokes.

Is that too much to ask for?
    I'll do my best with the douche jokes.

Man, what a crazy time. Event was running well, but when we tried to start after lunch, major rain and wind came out of nowhere. It blew the top off a building, an enclosed trailer into the side of a truck, the portapotties on there side and half way across the tarmac, and many of the cones to one end of the tarmac. A lot of people caught off guard. I was able to close my top and roll up windows, and I got a few other cars, too. That might have been the strongest wind I have ever felt. Crazy stuff. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria. Old Testament.

We all lived through it except for Travis' truck.

Wow, bummer. Pics?
    Polished Turd Racing

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Jimmie posted on fb
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I heard it was as fresh as a summer breeze.

/// too easy...

strathound

What are skid pads? The clockwise and counter clockwise donuts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast