Thread: Long-term car storage?

Default Long-term car storage?

I'm going to have to store my miata for around 9 months (long story) and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice. First, anybody know of any good places that offer storage garages at reasonable prices? Or know if there are any things to look for in a storage option in your experience?

Also, anything I should particularly do to the car? I'm figuring that I'll put it up on stands and lay the tires aside so they don't flat-spot, and disconnected the battery. Anything else?
    Matt

'99 Miata sport, emerald
    '10 Cayman S, meteor grey

Drain the gas and/or add stabilizer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd put some mouse/rat baits in and around the car. Something that dries them out so they don't decompose and stink.

I suggest putting the car on jack stands, all 4 wheels off the ground to prevent flat spot on your tires. Of course if you have a set that's in need of replacement, might as well just throw them on and change them when you got back.

I had much practice at this, with all the deployments/cruises I did in 21 years in the Navy.

Preferably you will want inside or at least covered storage. Call around, the smaller towns seem to have better rates than in the metro areas.

• If you inside store, put the car up on jack stands, remove the battery from the car and/or put it on a good tender. Set your battery on wood or a non conductor like rubber, OFF of the concrete floor.
    • Fill the tank to the very top with stabilized gas (preferably NOT ethanol equipped fuel, the alcohol will hold moisure). Topping the tank as full as possible will help to prevent condensation.
    • Have a good fresh oil change.
    • Spray the exposed metal under the hood with a moisture displacer (WD40)
    • Put a good heavy coat or two of wax on.
    • If you are inside, put the mouse/rat poison under the car, not in it. If possible have someone "refresh" the bait every 3 months.
    • Put desiccant (drying agent) inside the car. One refresh if possible.
    • Use dryer sheets to prevent rodents from being inside the car -- they do not like the smell of "Downey." Do not put the dryer sheets directly on the interior.
    • Cover the car to keep dust & UV out.

If you store outside, it's basically worthless to try and cover the car -- the cover will just blow off (unless of course you strap the sh*t out of it). It'd be more beneficial to cover the inside of the windows to keep the UV off of your interior. I have seen people "shrink wrap" their cars, like boats -- I don't know the cost or the availability of that.
    • Wind movement on a car cover has the possibility of putting wear on the paint, especially if dirt gets under or through your cover.
    • Top the tank, change the oil, wax the hell out of the car and put it on stands (tires just off the ground)
    • Spray the exposed metal under the hood with a moisture displacer (WD40)
    • Pull the battery, put some bait under the hood and on flat places on the exterior of the car.
    • Use the desiccant and dryer sheets inside the car.
    • Hopefully you can get someone to check the car more often than inside like monthly.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

Not to thread jack but with my timing/ignition woes, and the new fluidless clutch master cyl, the car will most likely be parked in the garage until mid august. Any need for fuel stabilizers for a 2 - 3 month span? There's no room to jack the car up off the wheels so i'll have to settle for cranking and driving around the block every few weeks.

Also, +1 on the rat poison. Couple years ago I found out the hard way rats/squirrels love spark plugs and wiring harnesses. From my brother in law who is an exterminator this is one of the most common problems they find. Hadnt heard of the dryer sheets, but i'll take care of that this afternoon. It'll help get the 18 year old miata smell out anyway.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Yes, do the stabilizer -- it is cheap insurance.
    -Jim
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

I'd opt for one of these along with some drying agent. Stabilizer in the fuel along with a fresh oil change and fog the motor. All that said my Miata sat way longer than that with just stabilizer in the fuel and a battery tender. When I finally got it back on the road I just changed the oil and started driving it. Tires didn't even flat spot as modern tires are less prone to that than old tires but they will get a little harder. You are only talking 9 months so I wouldn't worry a whole lot, but I would pay extra to store it indoors.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I had much practice at this, with all the deployments/cruises I did in 21 years in the Navy.

Wow, tons of good advice here -- thanks! I'm definitely opting for indoor storage and I think I'll be doing exactly what you suggest.
    Matt

'99 Miata sport, emerald

I can store the Cayman S.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    I can store the Cayman S.
    I've got that one handled. But thanks so much for your very generous offer.
    Matt

'99 Miata sport, emerald

If I had room in the barn, I'd offer to put your M there, but space is filled up and I'm going to have to figure out something to get a lift in there.
    -Jim

Also, It is super cheap to keep comprehensive insurance on the car while it is in storage. My cousin is in USAF (just started assignment overseas) and he got 6 months of comprehensive (theft, natural disaster, vandalism, etc) without liability or collision for $26 through State Farm. His car, admittedly, is not very valuable.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    Also, It is super cheap to keep comprehensive insurance on the car while it is in storage. My cousin is in USAF (just started assignment overseas) and he got 6 months of comprehensive (theft, natural disaster, vandalism, etc) without liability or collision for $26 through State Farm. His car, admittedly, is not very valuable.
    Good tip, thanks.
    Matt

'99 Miata sport, emerald

one more emphasizing the rat/ant poison. they completely devoured the wiring harness on my father's camper while in storage. take no prisoners...
    95 r white

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What kind of gas stabilizer are you guys recommending? I've not had much success with Stabil in lawnmower gas.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I buy ethanol free gasoline from the farm co-op and use Sta-Bil. Seems to work fine for me.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I just moved my classic car to new storage after the old storage facility decided to jack up my rent on my autopay credit card I had set up without telling me. So if you do autopay make sure rent increase notification is stipulated in the credit card authorization form. Also, Harbor Freight sells these cheap battery charge maintainers for the battery. They'll keep a fully charged battery from draining. http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html

Several storage places have a first month free deal, even when renting month to month. I'd choose one with an onsite resident manager and show them the car so they know if they see it being driven out that it's being stolen. I pay $92/month for a 10x20 in north garland. Miatas can fit in a 10x15 so they'll be less.

My 2 cents: Find a facility that offers 15' units. They cost MUCH less than 20 footers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition