Thread: Clear Blue Sky Rally, 7/14/12

Default Clear Blue Sky Rally, 7/14/12

The Clear Blue Sky Rally is back, the second event in the 2012 Texas Region Rally Championship Series. Starting and ending in McKinney, we will explore the most scenic, twisty back country roads (all paved) of Collin County. Along the way we’ll visit the towns of Melissa, established in 1851, Anna, in 1867 and the “oldest town in Collin County”, Weston, settled in the 1840’s. There will be a few course following problems to keep you on your toes and some fun clues for the questions you will answer along the way.

The rally will take place on Saturday, July 14, starting and ending at Spring Creek Barbeque, 1993 North Central Expressway (NW corner with Highway 380) McKinney, TX 75070. Registration/Check-In will be from 8:45 to 9:30 am. The Safety Briefing will be at 9:35 am, and an important Rally School will be held from 9:40 to 10:15 am.

Starting Time, First Car: 10:30 am; Finish Time, First Car: 2:30 pm, estimated

Route: It’s a secret, of course, but expect to drive on scenic back roads

Rally Fee: $30.00 SCCA Members: $20.00 $5 late fee if not preregistered

Preregistration is at tinyurl.com/CBS12msr .

It’s back to the course-following rallies of a couple of years ago. Some of you claimed to be getting bored with the super-easy courses of last year. But don’t worry about getting lost. If you make the mistakes we expect, you will drive right back on course without ever knowing you were off-course. This is a common challenge among SCCA rallies, and lots of people think it’s loads of fun.

Join us!

Thirteen cars are entered in the Clear Blue Sky Rally. I would guess about 20 on rally day. Cars entered include Mitsubishis, Subarus, Acura, Mustang, Mini, BMW, and more. Two Mazdas entered so far.

The really good news is that gas prices are down to about $3.10 for regular. And it should be about 75 degrees at registration time, and the upper 90's when you finish, with a small chance of showers. Not too bad for July.

The final pre-check went well, with a novice team making it through all the tests. The rally passed the required Safety Check with flying colors.

If you want to be a rally insider, follow me on twitter: @TXrally

So we are ready for you....register at tinyurl.com/CBS12msr .

Join us!

Hmm, if I can find a navigator tonight I will try to show up in thr morning. I did this last year and it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by p4r4d0x View Post
    hmm, if i can find a navigator tonight i will try to show up in thr morning. I did this last year and it was a lot of fun.
    it's next week!
    Last edited by sammm; 07-07-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: It's always a good idea to put dates in the original thread title.

Maybe start with a calendar?
    M3 is always the answer.

The $5 no-preregistration fee is only for SCCA members? Or we'd pay $35 if we made the last minute decision to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    The $5 no-preregistration fee is only for SCCA members? Or we'd pay $35 if we made the last minute decision to show up?
    Yes, it would be $35. The way to solve that is to enter and pay. Then if you decide at the last minute that you can't make it, just don't show up. Your money will automatically be applied to the next rally of ours that you run! We will be disappointed, but we will get over it.....

Quote Originally Posted by sccarally View Post
    it's next week!
    Whoops. Good thing everyone said no, haha. Not sure why I thought it was today..

Anyway, I'll still be trying to make it.

We now have a Subaru team and a BMW team entered in the Clear Blue Sky Rally. We ought to have a Mazda team, too. Since two of you have entered, it will only take one more of you to do it. You will have to make up your own team name. BTW, we are now up to 21 cars entered.

Just registered for the rally. Totall noob. First time, dunno what to expect but lots of fun. Hoping for no rain so i can drive top down.