Thread: Dang 'ol axle nut

Default Dang 'ol axle nut

I need to replace my left rear axle (have it rebuilt, actually), which is usually easy, assuming you have an impact wrench to get the axle nut off. My normal 1/2" impact couldn't do it. So I bought a 3/4" impact and 3/4" impact sockets. Not cheap. Still no dice. I applied heat and then impact. Nothing. So I bought a 3/4" breaker bar and extended it three feet with a pipe. Dead.

I had heard from a reliable source that this is not reverse threaded. I had previously tried both directions with the impact wrench if only to break loose whatever crud was holding it. I tried the reverse direction with the breaker bar and it moved. It felt like it was getting tighter because once you break it loose, it usually immediately loosens. I then figured that maybe that movement rocked whatever was holding it loose. I was overpowering the brakes, but with some quick yanks rather than a slow pull, it finally moved in the correct direction and came off.

I just wanted to post it in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Looking back, I should have just gone with the 3/4" breaker bar in the first place and saved a lot of money. BTW, neither Home Depot or Sears had a 3/4" breaker bar, but Harbor Freight did. HB FTW!

Glad ya got it fixed!

Hope ya saved the receipts for the not cheap tools.

I now have a big a$$ impact wrench for loan. Let me know if you need to work on a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Oh my.
    Now thats a real Nut Buster!

Any other thoughts on this? i am hearing the tell tale noise that i need to do my right one...
    95 r white

Um, can I borrow your gigantic breaker bar stuff? Like, I'll swing by, pop the two loose, and leave? I need to replace both rear axles and I'm not looking forward to this job because I always damage tools the first time I remove the rear axles on a car.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    Any other thoughts on this? i am hearing the tell tale noise that i need to do my right one...
    Coat everything in grease or preferably anti-seize when you reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Um, can I borrow your gigantic breaker bar stuff? Like, I'll swing by, pop the two loose, and leave? I need to replace both rear axles and I'm not looking forward to this job because I always damage tools the first time I remove the rear axles on a car.
    Sure. I will be autocrossing most of the weekend, but I can leave them out for you if I am not home. PM me when you plan to make it over and I can give you my address.

So was it reverse threaded or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Sure. I will be autocrossing most of the weekend, but I can leave them out for you if I am not home. PM me when you plan to make it over and I can give you my address.
    If you're auto-xing locally I can meet you there too. I have to roll to Arlington this weekend so it's pretty convenient. Thanks.

Standard thread orientation.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    So was it reverse threaded or not?
    Normal thread direction, but it was moving it in a tighten direction that broke loose whatever crud/corrosion that was holding it on. I was then able to move it in a loosen direction.

You mention you are rebuilding the half shafts. why rebuild instead of replace. I was planning to replace bearings as well. Anything else in there that should be replaced? (downloaded birdwell's sheet from pointy board)

I appreciate your thoughts, this is one i really need to do soon as i am 'hearing' more and more noises.
    95 r white