Thread: Falken 615k

Default Falken 615k

Anybody autocrossing on 615k? I had some old 215's on my E30 BMW and they would overheat after 30 seconds or so. How do they do on a light weight car?
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Falkens are so 2009

There are some better choice are available.

I'm a fan of the Dunlop Star Spec since I was limited to a 14" Tire on my ES Miata.

The 615K is a great tire, but has significant limitations. Once they get too hot, they are very hard to cool down. Preemptive watering is mandatory. They do have the best lateral grip of ANY tire I've driven, esp when under 50-60 runs. Also, once they heat-cycle enough, they go off like flipping a switch. Stiff sidewall and very crisp turn-in; its too bad they couldn't make the compound more heat-tolerant. I would definitely run them if they were priced competitively. Just like the Kumho, they are more expensive than some better-rounded options (RS3, SS). If I'm spending Falken money, I'll get RE-11's.

If you can get a deal, they are a great tire.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I would not bother with them. Look at Dunlop, Kumho, and Hankook.

In 14" there is only Falken and Dunlop. The Falken is $95 and the Dunlop is $125.

If it were a 205/15 then Hankook, Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokohama, and Dunlop are all around $130. Falken is $115 and Kumho is $104 in that size.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I was not a fan at all of the RE-11s on the S2000.

Rumor has it that there will be 2-3 new ST type tires on the market soon.

I really like the Star Spec, very good all around tire. As you know the RS-3’s are great for hot dry events. I have not tried the others. Bob Bailey has been going pretty fast on the 615 this year.

Yep, 14" is only those two choices. If $$ are the factor, then the SS is the winner, as they will go 300 runs plus with good grip. The Falken will probably not get half that many before they cycle out. Pennywise, pound-foolish.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Default Falken 615k

Just put RE-11s on my car and thought they were great at MSR.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yep, 14" is only those two choices. If $$ are the factor, then the SS is the winner, as they will go 300 runs plus with good grip. The Falken will probably not get half that many before they cycle out. Pennywise, pound-foolish.
    Yep no love for the kids running the 14" wheels....

Star Specs > Azenis

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Just put RE-11s on my car and thought they were great at MSR.
    I liked them at the first 3 autocrosses I did on them, at the 4th one they stoped working for me. Don't know if I cooked them at the 3rd event or what. I have seen other people go fast on them.

Looks like the 4th quarter of this year for the new star spec. So anytime if the guy from tirerack was correct.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/9415...ge__hl__dunlop
    Last edited by Robert; 10-18-2012 at 12:37 PM.

I want to try RS3s but they dont make them in a 195 or 205... And actually I would have gotten Star Specs, but I eneded up getting tires the day before my last track weekend and RE-11s were the stickiest tires I could find in stock on one days notice. So far so good...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...