Thread: Ooma voip

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question Ooma voip

In my quest to rid my household of all things AT&T, I'm looking at OOMA to replace our 2 land lines. Anyone currently using them?

Looks like for $10 a month I can have 2 separate phone lines like we do today (after I buy the OOMA device for a $140 one-time charge). My wife and I both work from home, and conference calls on cell phones sucks.

It depends on where you're calling. VOIP is useless for my purposes, as ALL the carriers (pretty sure I've tried them all by now) fail to deliver consistent connections to the places I want to call with "land line" phones. I just gave up and use a cordless set that links to my cell.

It works great when it works, that is... I dropped it and use a free service (sipgate) + google voice for outbound dialing since that seems to work just as well.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I've been using Ooma for a little over a year now with no complaints. There have been a few hiccups but nothing major and for what I am saving well worth the investment. One feature I really like is so long as you don't have DSL you can connect it to the phone lines at your home and use any existing jack with any existing phone. That said I mostly just use the cordless handset.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    I've been using Ooma for a little over a year now with no complaints. There have been a few hiccups but nothing major and for what I am saving well worth the investment. One feature I really like is so long as you don't have DSL you can connect it to the phone lines at your home and use any existing jack with any existing phone. That said I mostly just use the cordless handset.
    That's interesting....I do have DSL, but I also have 2-pairs of 2 wires (separate phone jacks). 1 pair for voice, and 1 for DSL.

Won't work since you have to disconnect the phone line coming into the house. Honestly the handset works really well and I think you can even get a bluetooth adapter for the base unit.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Default Re: Ooma voip

I've been using ooma for a while now and it's been great for me. The device has been pretty solid, and I've never had any trouble with voice quality. I wanted to keep a landline, but I hated paying so much to the telco for something I used so little.

The number porting fee is kinda steep, but I paid it so I could keep my number. In the long run, I'll still save a lot.

The thing that baffles me is how they stay afloat... But as long as mine keeps working, I'm happy.
    Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Just use Google Voice.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

So Sammm what did you end up doing?

Anyone use voipo??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Still on my to-do list. Having DSL makes it a bit more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Still on my to-do list. Having DSL makes it a bit more complicated.
    Why??

We have AT&T U-Verse DSL and use Vontage at the World Headquarters. I set it up myself. We use these old school phones in each office.

I used a dedicated feed for the DSL so no need for filters. Used the existing building wiring for 3 voice lines and a Fax line.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I pulled the trigger and ordered an Ooma this morning. Costco had them for $99 but they sold out before I saw the sale. I got it on Amazon for $130, sold from J&R Music. (No sales tax, free shipping)