Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Canyon track day Nov 17

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Here's my only vid of my car on the track that day. I had a wheel bearing fail at lunch cutting the day short. Lotsa good footage of Shane till he drops back for a cool down lap. My goal was to get a 2:10 by the afternoon. Got a 2:09 in just the second session when I caught an open track for a lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbzM...ature=youtu.be

nice video man. that second time you went to point me by I missed a shift and managed to drop the car into second somehow and noticed the water temp was 240. I was trying to find the line that works best for the miata, i don't normally go that deep into the corners before turning in. For the next sessions i borrowed the line you used when you passed me early on and i think that works much better. the car carries enough speed in corners it likes an early turn in.

I also realized the car doesnt like passengers. The passenger rear was rubbing like crazy that session with a passenger in the car. You were driving the crap out of that thing. You going to be fixed in time for the toy run?

Already fixed. Got a beefier RX-8 hub on it now. It's my daily.

Yeah after I saw you dropped back I thought you were cooling it off. When you get the car sorted and start trusting it's tossability I won't be getting as much video of you.
    Last edited by Nails; 11-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Already fixed. Got a beefier RX-8 hub on it now. It's my daily.

Yeah after I saw you dropped back I thought you were cooling it off. When you get the car sorted and start trusting it's tossability I won't be getting as much video of you.

idk, you were moving pretty good there. Those RX8 hubs just bolt right on or did you have to work some sort of magic?

Bolt onto NC's. Need 2009 RX-8 or newer for the ABS sensor.

Sandor laying the smackdown with some Cosworth luv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsKV...ature=youtu.be

strathound

So I'm just now reading this thread. Shanem, did you try taping up the hole at the Toy Run? Did that help?

What's the logic behind pointing the ductwork at the hubs? Not sure I understand why you wouldn't point that stuff right at the rotors. I'm sure it has something to do with pressure, but I don't get it.

Michael

The hub is a heatsink to the rotor. Cooler hub draws heat faster off the rotor.

strathound

Faster than cooling the rotor directly? Is that because the surface area of the hub is bigger?

yup that and the fact air is a poor conductor so it takes longer to transfer heat away from the source than more metal can, hence heatsink.

strathound

Here's my only vid of my car on the track that day. I had a wheel bearing fail at lunch cutting the day short. Lotsa good footage of Shane till he drops back for a cool down lap. My goal was to get a 2:10 by the afternoon. Got a 2:09 in just the second session when I caught an open track for a lap.

In this video, it shows you driving with the top down and no roll bar. I thought that wasn't allowed?

I have a factory bar just like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by strathound View Post
    So I'm just now reading this thread. Shanem, did you try taping up the hole at the Toy Run? Did that help?

What's the logic behind pointing the ductwork at the hubs? Not sure I understand why you wouldn't point that stuff right at the rotors. I'm sure it has something to do with pressure, but I don't get it.

Michael

didnt cover it at this event, but did at the toy run and it made overheating worse.

strathound

I have a factory bar just like yours.
    Yes, I see that. But, I thought I had to install a full roll cage to be able to run in any events other than the Toy Run. So you're telling me that's not true? If so, that's great news. I have the PRHT and have been looking for some sort of solution so that I could do track days in the car. I don't need to do that???

Michael

strathound

yup that and the fact air is a poor conductor so it takes longer to transfer heat away from the source than more metal can, hence heatsink.
    I believe you ... but ... if air is a bad conductor, then it's equally bad when flowing over the hub as when it's flowing over the rotor. I'm not an engineer, so I'm sure I'm just missing the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by strathound View Post
    Yes, I see that. But, I thought I had to install a full roll cage to be able to run in any events other than the Toy Run. So you're telling me that's not true? If so, that's great news. I have the PRHT and have been looking for some sort of solution so that I could do track days in the car. I don't need to do that???

Michael
    you don't need a full cage, most just require verts with no hard top to pass the broomstick test. ECR does enforce that convertible rule for its own track days AFAIK. that video was from the 5 star track day, which was a private event and those private days are typically run like a member day, meaning rules are more lax. it mostly has to do with instructors not wanting to get into a vert with no roll bar with a new driver.

strathound

Sweet. There may be hope for me yet. :)

ken o and I talked to a Brembo engineer at the Caddy COTA event. Their data doesn't back this assertion up.

The design of the car and the rotor venting plays a large role in this, but based on talking with this guy I'm not convinced that the hubs see near as much heat as most people think they do.

FWIW, this would be a great place to try some heat tape to actually measure the temps.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    ken o and I talked to a Brembo engineer at the Caddy COTA event. Their data doesn't back this assertion up.

The design of the car and the rotor venting plays a large role in this, but based on talking with this guy I'm not convinced that the hubs see near as much heat as most people think they do.

FWIW, this would be a great place to try some heat tape to actually measure the temps.
    trey uses that tape everywhere, it's a sickness. he can chime in with results.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    You're an engineer your opinion doesn't count.

If I do ducting to mine I will run it to both rotor and hub. I'm on my first rotor (soon to be replaced due to wear) and my third front right hub (now an RX8].

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast